Options

Stereo relay and rear amp

tomrapptomrapp Member Posts: 24 ✭✭

Does anyone know what this relay is for? It’s in the stereo wire harness on a 2009 Captiva 246. My rear speakers cut in and out and this clicks each time when it happens. I’m not sure if the relay is bad or the amp, which I can’t seem to find either. Any help would be appreciated. 

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well its made in China
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can probably pick that relay up at an auto parts store for a few bucks. Start there, if that doesn’t fix it look for the amp.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    That relay is pretty corroded. Try taking the wires off and clean it up and see what happens....... Also check that diode with a multi meter......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    What should it read? Check it with the radio on or off? I consider myself mechanically inclined and can fix just about anything...so long as it’s not electrical. Lol
  • Options
    I did try cleaning the terminals too. No difference. Stil cuts in and out.

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something is controlling that relay. Have a diagram?
  • Options
    No I haven’t been able to find a wire diagram for the boat yet. 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's protection for the remote turn on of the amp.

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    tomrapp said:
    What should it read? Check it with the radio on or off? I consider myself mechanically inclined and can fix just about anything...so long as it’s not electrical. Lol
    A diode allows electricity to flow in one direction. Put a meter across it and see if you have continuity. If you have continuity swap the meter leads and see if it goes away. If it goes away the diode is good. If it reads open in both ways or reads continuity both ways its bad......... Good luck and keep us posted.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    I was able to find a new relay at adavance auto and it seems to have fixed the problem.  Tomorrow will be the true test out on the water. 
  • Options
    I am no electronic engineer but that print does not make sense to me. Why would the movable contact on the relay go to "Stereo Memory" and the stationary to the "amp" and "stereo remote"? I would have thought that the remote would go the the head unit and the memory would of had a constant feed ........... Just wondering...
  • Options
    The stereo memory is providing the power to the amp remote turn on. The wire from the stereo remote turn on energizes the relay to activate the circuit. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    @Greg got it. But doesn't this make the drawing is incomplete? It does  not show show where the feeds are coming from. No big deal I was just curious......
  • Options
    @raybo3, if you look at the adjacent page on the prints, it shows where the memory power is coming from. I just put that page up to show the relay wring. I get where you are coming from. It is confusing without the complete set of drawings.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Well good news guys, the relay was my issue. The stereo is working great. Thanks for all the advice and info. 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice! Glad it was an easy fix for you.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Awesome!!! 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    @raybo3, if you look at the adjacent page on the prints, it shows where the memory power is coming from. I just put that page up to show the relay wring. I get where you are coming from. It is confusing without the complete set of drawings.
    Thanks Greg for clearing that up. I wan not trying to make an issue it just did not look right to me.......
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    I have the same relay on my system and I think its bad.  Unfortunately I can only find that exact one for $50.  @tomrapp can you show me the one you purchased?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    I think this is it...anyone agree?

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    @06Rinker270 I went to autozone or advanced auto and bought a relay right off the shelf. It’s not the same brand as what’s in there. The only thing that is important is that it has the same PIN numbers in the same orientation. Swapped my out and haven’t had a single issue since. 
  • Options
    Im pretty sure the one I have above is the same.  I will be going to the boat to test it out.  If not I will head over the the auto store and see what they have.  Thanks a lot of the info, you saved me some $$$$.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    @06Rinker270 did that relay fix your issue?