Outdrives only come up halfway

SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 913 ✭✭✭
Had an "incident" today. Due to unfamiliar waters and stupidity I grounded the 2008 330.  Port outdrive was hung up on a rock after hitting at idle speed.  Fellow boater helped out by pulling boat around in a circle that repositioned boat on stone, then was able to carefully pull boat free.  I lifted sterndrive all the way up, props amazingly seemed unscathed.  Decided to take it back into marina (1000') to dock and double check everything.  

After docking, when I tired to raise outdrives, they both only came up halfway.  Like trip position, not trailer.  Tried trim switch and trailer switches.  All moved drive(s) up and down, but only halfway.  Not all the way like it just did on the lake.  Any ideas what's happening here and the fix?

Comments

• randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm interested in the answer, never have the problem.
    Boat Name : 

• SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 913 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like it just turns off, like normal.  Thinking back, It's probably not halfway up, it's just up to the full trim up position, whether I use trim or trailer switches.
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    I have feeing it’s something to do with the trailer switch or wiring
    i doubt impact took out both limit switches but you never know.
    i would definitely pull the boat out and check the bottom and drives for damage 
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spyderweb said:
    Sounds like it just turns off, like normal.  Thinking back, It's probably not halfway up, it's just up to the full trim up position, whether I use trim or trailer switches.
    Normal trim up will stop at the right height if your trim limit switches are adjusted right and working. The trailer up sends them all the way up. 
    So with trailer switches both working, but both stopping at the same height as the trim switch, is that indicative of what might be wrong (fuse, solenoid, switch etc.)?
    Did they work before this accident?
    one puck is the sender and the other is your limit switch for trim up
    i would trace to see if your are getting a signal from trailer switches

Yes they both worked before the grounding.  In fact, I raised the port drive (the one stuck on the rock) before starting the motor up after getting freed.  It came all the way up and I was able to confirm all the prop blades were good.  Motored slowly back to the marina (1000' away) and after tying up, discovered it would now only rise to about trim level.
    That is odd
    i mean you need to lift the boat out anyway to check the hull and drives for damage
    at that time you can check each puck on the drives and wiring leading from them
    for now check if you are indeed getting power to the pumps/ solenoids when trailer button or buttons is pushed 
  • memorymakermemorymaker Member Posts: 31
    I was testing mine before putting in the water.  They would come up halfway and stop.  I would inch them back down and up and then they went all the way up.  I repeated this several times and thought the switches on the shifter were dirty.  Sprayed them with electronic cleaner and they still behave the same way.  Any clues?

Got to the boat today and jumped the blue wire on each trim motor.  In both cases the outdrives came all the way up like they are supposed to. I dropped them down with the trailer switch.  They went all the way down.  When trying to raise them again with the switch, they still only come up to the trim level.  

What does that tell us?
    I assume that's the puck-like thing on the outside of the drive.  How do you know if it's the port or starboard trim limit sensor since the symptom started with both at the same time?
    I do not believe it is a "dual press switch".  There is a trim switch on the port throttle handle, that trims both drives together.  In addition to that switch, there are 2 separate trailer switches on the binnacle, one for port and one for starboard.  When I press either trailer switch up, the appropriate drive only goes up the same amount as the trim switch would allow.  

Is it likely that each trim limit sensor (on the port and starboard drive) went bad at the same time?  
    Are you saying each of the 2 trailer switches are dual position switches?
    My 2007 bayliner 285 (single engine) has a dual position switch on handle, so I am familiar with that.  I think I figured with separate "trim" and "trailer" switches, they wouldn't be dual.  As indicated above, I have raised the drives all the way up this spring.  Maybe I was applying extra pressure and didn't realize it.  Can't wait to get back to boat in next few days to try this out.
    You nailed it Al.  Tried the trailer switch today and sure enough, it's a dual switch. So I never really had a problem.  Feel kinda dumb, but sure feel good.  Thanks everyone.