Options

Slight oil leak

ruggeroleruggerole Member Posts: 161 ✭✭

So I had the gimbal ring replaced on my 2001 Captiva 232CC with the Bravo 3 outdrive over the winter. Had it home for 2 weeks now and noticed a small gear lube leak between the outdrive casting and the props. The reservoir has gone down about 3/8" over the 2 weeks time. I contacted my mechanic and he said not to run it if the reservoir is going down. Its Memorial Day weekend! I have plans of boating darn it!!!

So if its this small of a leak, do you feel its safe as long as I keep my eye on the oil level and keep it topped off?

Thanks, Have a safe weekend all. 

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may get worse, drain the lube while underway and blow up the drive but it may not.
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Handy you're always such an optimist!
    If it leaked like that sitting in the driveway it could be an issue. You could try running it a bit and see. Down at the props though shouldn't be related to the gimbal ring or upper seal. Is it possible you're seeing residual oil from the work? It Is common for the reservoir to drop a bit after drive work as air works it's way out of the system.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you have a prop shaft seal leak- easy fix- you don't want to take water in or run it out of fluid. 300 $ repair or what 4 grand for a new out drive? Seems like a no brainer to me!
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If oil leaks out water can get in prop shaft seal is not much money.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    ruggeroleruggerole Member Posts: 161 ✭✭
    Willhound said:
    Handy you're always such an optimist!
    If it leaked like that sitting in the driveway it could be an issue. You could try running it a bit and see. Down at the props though shouldn't be related to the gimbal ring or upper seal. Is it possible you're seeing residual oil from the work? It Is common for the reservoir to drop a bit after drive work as air works it's way out of the system.

Ran the boat Sunday & Monday without any drop in the resivoir. The mechanic said that when he was doing the repair, oil had gotten into the exhaust. All went well and no longer leaking.