Options

Rinker 270 Express cruiser....

mh331168mh331168 Member Posts: 5
Good morning Ladies and gentlemen, yet another question relating to my anchor an winlass.  I have purchased a new anchor and chain is expected to arrive next week. Per the winlass manual which is a Lewmar 609 ( I believe..manual not on me right now) It does not call for a rope splice and Rinker advised 30' of chain. I have researched with no positive results, can someone please provide information on exactly how to install and what/how much chain to install on this vessel? Should I have a rope to chain splice?

Comments

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Depending on year it's likely a Lewmar/Standard Horizon 600.
    Chain length can vary. My old one was 15 feet with 100 feet of line (rope). My new one is 50 feet of chain with 150 feet of line. A rope to chain splice lets the chain transition to rope while travelling through the windlass. Usually cheaper and easier to order them pre-made. You need to check the model number on the windlass drum as they take different size chain and rope. And it's a proofed chain, that is the sizing is exact so as not to jam in the drum. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    @mh331168=i have just went through this=you need to look on your gypsy for a number=that number determines what size rope and chain to use=if you have already purchased chain ..you will have to splice onto your rope
  • Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    If I had to do it again I would go with all chain. Better holding power as it is heavier and allows the anchor to dig in better, and no issues with windlass skipping when going from rope to chain. Also more weight in the nose to help plane off.
  • Options
    Thank you Gentlemen, my gypsy calls for 1/2 to 5/8 dia rope. However, per the owners manual of my winlass...it lists 3 different model Lewmar winlass, my particular model has an X in the box that says what size rope to use as if rope is not recommended for said model. I have ordered 90' of 5/16 BBB chain as recommended for my particular winlass. I am not sure of how many feet of this my compartment will hold. Should I try to load all of the chain? Rinker parts had suggested 30' of chain and total length of chain and splice scenerio to be 150' total. Once again my particular model does not seem to call for a rope/chain splice.
  • Options
    This is a 2006 Rinker 270 Express btw
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my 2008 280EC, I have 30' of chain and 130' of 8 plait line. I have the Horizon 600 windlass on my boat, which was factory installed.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I contacted Lewmar when I needed new rode and they had me get 1/4 inch chain 1/2 inch line.  Ended up getting this: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--rope-chain-anchor-rode-packages-for-windlasses--P005_150_001_004?pCode=151905

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Stodge, it depends on the gypsy, most use the configuration you used, some are different.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)