Options

My first boat

Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
Try not to laugh too much circa 1972. This was a kit boat. I was 13 and made it all by myself. The lake is 1st lake, near Old Forge, NY. Part of the Fulton Chain of Lakes. The boat was fast!

Comments

• Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    My dad & I built a little boat years ago, it may have been around 1970. Marine ply, hydrofoil sort of design, 20 hp merc out board. Fond memories.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Looks like a lot of motor for a boat that size.  What's the hull material?  
  • Options
    1/4 marine plywood
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    wait wait====handy imperso ==some people shouldn't own a boat
    ROFLMAO
  • Options
  • Options
    Hey man that was the look back then. NBA. Hahaha hahaha . I was hot
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Fun, fond, memories. Bet Handy had a blast, Al was starting his carrier early. 
    My first was a 14 ft ti hull  Thundercraft 65 merc. We used lawn chairs for seats, because the originals were rotten. Not actual boat picture but similar.
    Had second memory, I bought the boat for $650, used it one summer, the water pump went out, sold it for $650. If only I had quit then I would be a rich man now. LOL

thunder craft 1600 obo - 1600 Coal center
    Post edited by randy56 on
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 949 ✭✭✭
    Try not to laugh too much circa 1972. This was a kit boat. I was 13 and made it all by myself. The lake is 1st lake, near Old Forge, NY. Part of the Fulton Chain of Lakes. The boat was fast!
    How many batteries did it have?
  • Options
    How many batteries did it have?
    ZERO lol
  • Options
    shawnmjr said:
    What don’t you want us laughing at? The boat, the hair, the shorts, or the socks? And you drove a gasser 
    Still wear shorts like too!
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    shawnmjr said:
    What don’t you want us laughing at? The boat, the hair, the shorts, or the socks? And you drove a gasser 
    Still wear shorts like too!
    Your a regular fashion plate..........NOT!!!!!!!!!! lol
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    My boating experiences before 1998 were a disaster.  They always involved poorly maintained boats, breakdowns, clueless captains and other tragedies. 

Example:  On my friend's crappy sailboat, the tiller broke off.  I spent an hour hanging off the stern, holding the rudder with both hands while the captain yelled commands to his "human tiller."  

Example:  On another friend's Hobie cat, my sling seat broke off, sending me overboard and capsizing the boat.  By the time we righted the boat, the wind had pushed us under a narrow bridge.  With the wind, the captain could not get the boat back under the bridge.  After trying over and over for an hour, we finally made it -- but a guy fell overboard.  In the ensuing chaos, we drifted back under the bridge.  We had to hitchhike back to the marina and get the captain's trailer.  

When I finally did get my own first boat (Maxum 2400 SCR, fantastic boat!), I vowed never to be "that guy," and that's why I'm so particular about maintenance!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How fast did it go?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    MarkB said:
    How fast did it go?
    Mine went about 20 until it plowed a wave LOL