Options

Vhf radio

zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
quick question
i has it set to channel 69 so me and my brother in law could communicate 

three time my radio automatically switched to channel 16 and started making a beeping alarm?
i have never heard it before or heard of such a thing. 

Comments

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sounds like someone in your area hit the DSC panic button. 
  • Options
    That’s what I thought 
    it scared me lol 
    i thought one of my engines alarmed out
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Your radio should display a DSC icon when that happens.  Some will have an option to see the type of distress message that was sent as well as the sending MMSI number.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So if you broadcast on 16, any other radios will go to 16 automatically?
  • Options
    No, if you send a "distress" DSC message, all VHF radios with DSC that pick it up will make an alarm sound, then switch to 16 to hear the expected mayday call.

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could be someone activated a DSC or I know that in our area the Canadian Coast Guard will send out an alarm signal that precedes an All Stations message. For example, there was one here this past Saturday to announce an impending squall. I think the DSC equipped radio's will automatically switch to 16 so that all vessels will hear any communication from or to the stricken vessel so that aid can be rendered if necessary. Proper radio etiquette (might be a rule, I don't know) is that you should always be monitoring 16 unless in actual communication on another channel for the same reasons.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Yes, "all stations" could do the same thing.  It can be the Coast Guard, but any boat with DSC can send one out.

• Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    That reminds me, I really need to get my MMSI registered. Ugh, list keeps growing.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    I figured that once I confirmed my systems were going strong lol
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JoeStang said:
    That reminds me, I really need to get my MMSI registered. Ugh, list keeps growing.
    It's an easy process, I just did it for the handheld I bought.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need to get registered and figure out connecting to my chart plotter ..it Isa newer radio with that feature..
  • Options
    Pet peeve of mine. It's always a hassle hooking the wires from Chartplotter/GPS to DSC enabled VHF and getting it set up. Or, pay an extra $200 for a GPS enabled VHF to have it built in. But meanwhile, a cheap A$$ cell phone has a built in GPS antenna that costs about $5.
    In my opinion, any DSC enabled VHF should have the GPS chip in it from the start.
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
     I have a Standard Horizon GX1700. Has the built in DSC and GPS. The nice thing is it shows GPS speed and your coordinates. If I push the emergency call button it should light up on any other DSC capable radio that is connected to a chartplotter and show my exact location, at least that is my understanding.
  • Options
    @boatman37 did you apply for and receive a M.M.S.I. number and go into the VHF set up and program it in? If not, don't depend on it sending the DSC signal, it may not.
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Willhound said:
    @boatman37 did you apply for and receive a M.M.S.I. number and go into the VHF set up and program it in? If not, don't depend on it sending the DSC signal, it may not.

Yes. Did that as soon as I bought it

Oh, and forgot to add, I paid about $200 for it with a $40 rebate so not much more than any other radio
  • Options
    Good deal!
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    I got the same beeping 2 weeks ago coming up the Hudson, friend was at helm while I was futzing around. "Umm what is that...." he asked as I bolted over reaching for the throttles and sure enough, was on VHF. But the channel it was on when I got there was 01 weather I usually leave scanning  9/13//16/68. Never heard it again.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    @icoultha The NWS can send a signal that makes marine VHF with the ability to switch and listen on the weather band.  Normally this if for sever weather warnings.  

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, that’s what I figured it to be once I realized it was from radio and not engines!

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/