Options

Power for Amp

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
Installing my new stereo and speakers today. I would pick the hottest day of the year!
Also just realized that I forgot to get the y cables that @Cableguy Greg mentions in this thread. https://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/8481/wiring-6-speakers-to-4-channel-amp-how-to-handle-fade-control#latest
Anyway, lots to do before I get to that.
The amp manual calls for a direct battery hook up with 8 gauge wire and then the remote on feed from the head unit turns it off and on. In a perfect world I'd like to take the feed from the acc position at the ignition switch, but I doubt the wire feeding it is anywhere near 8 guage thereby defeating the purpose. Correct?
Ok to take it from the back of the battery switch? I don't like the idea of taking it right off the battery.
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Comments

• Options
    F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    your OEM headunit will have a +12v acc wire , you can use that ..OR you can run an actual switched 12v as well, so that you 100% make sure your headunit /amp turns off, and just run teh switch off a direct 12v supply
    1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
  • Options
    just make sure both ways are fused
  • Options
    here was my install I did last summer
  • Options
    also .. the actual switched acc wire is very small like 14-16 gauge.. all it does is tell the amp to turn on.  The amp needs the big wires for the + and -  power leads
  • Options
    redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    F1100 said:
    just make sure both ways are fused
    YES!!! At the battery.
    2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
    2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
    2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    The ignition definitely can't run your stereo.  Ideally, it should come straight from the battery with #8 wire (which is like 3/16" diameter).  Include a terminal fuse block at the battery connection.  That way, if there's a short anywhere along the wire, the fuse will blow and prevent damage.  

I used one like this, available at West Marine.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/5191/MRBF_Terminal_Fuse_Block_-_30_to_300A

Product Image
  • Options
    you should have a proper in line fuse right at the battery, and then use a power distribution block up stream to split the wires. and of course the amp will have its own fuse. I was also using the wiring to run a windlass as well so went overboard.
  • Options
    All duly noted. Thanks @F1100 and everyone. The amp actually came wirh an install kit with 8 gauge twisted power wire and a 50 amp inline fuse. But although the amp is a marine amp the install kit is automotive based. So it has 17 feet of power wire but only 3 feet of ground because they figure you're grounding to chassis. Can't find anybody that stocks it. Gonna have to buy it online and wait. 
  • Options
    It's always safest to put circuit protection at the battery.  With wires that thick, a short anywhere before the first circuit breaker could start a fire in a hurry.  An inline fuse at the amplifier doesn't protect the supply wire.  
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This place makes up great battery wires.
    https://www.ezacdc.com/

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Kaptain_KenKaptain_Ken Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited May 2018
  • Options
    Thanks guys. But Canada Eh? Need to find it in country for anything less than a week delivery and no duty. Have a line on a professional installer that can likely get me a piece.
  • Options
    This is ridiculous. City of 150,000 and I can't find a single supplier for that 8 gauge twisted wire. Everybody orders it online but that's looking like a week delivery. I can get 8 gauge primary wire. Is there an issue with using that for my ground? Not mixing the wire on the same run,  but use the twisted for positive feed and the primary wire for the ground? Both 8 gauge. 
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    You would be fine doing that.  There's no advantage to stranded wire besides being more flexible and easier to pull.

Do you have Amazon prime?  There's wire options there...but I'm not sure if prime works for Canada
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    Sorry, but I'd stick with stranded wire on a boat.  Primarily for crimping and connections staying on.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Member Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    @Willhound I just installed a new amp over the weekend and ran into the same problem. Install kit was for a car and only 3ft of ground. My kit had 4 gauge wire, which Lowe's and Home Depot both have in stock and they also have other gagues, not sure about in Canada.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Spoke with a young gear head at work that's into stereos and he gave me a few places to try. Will know for sure tonight.
    Prime is available in Canada but still a 4 day delivery as it comes out of the US.
  • Options
    Guys, no.  No solid wire on a boat.  It will eventually fatigue and break because of the vibration.  And like @Dream_Inn said, connectors won't stay tight.  Also, it's too stiff and makes installation much harder in the confined spaces of a boat.  Use only marine-grade stranded wire.  

Like with everything else on boats:  Imagine explaining to your insurance adjuster that your boat burned down the marina because you didn't want to wait a few days for the right kind of wire.  
  • Options
  • Options
    Yes, I used Ancor and it's a really nice product.  Each strand is tinned, so it resists corrosion better than un-tinned wire, and it's super-flexible.  
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    The ignition definitely can't run your stereo.  Ideally, it should come straight from the battery with #8 wire (which is like 3/16" diameter).  Include a terminal fuse block at the battery connection.  That way, if there's a short anywhere along the wire, the fuse will blow and prevent damage.  

I used one like this, available at West Marine.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/5191/MRBF_Terminal_Fuse_Block_-_30_to_300A

Product Image
    @LaRea I bit the bullet and ordered this exact block and a 50 amp fuse along with 25 feet each of black and red Ancor 8 gauge cable and lugs from a marine supplier today. I see the sense now of coming right off the battery to the amp. Gonna take a few days to get here but that's just the way it goes. Have to find somebody with a lug crimper. And still have to find an 8 gauge lug that will fit the screw connection on the amp. 
  • Options
    Glad to hear it.  When I built my system (I still need to post those details!), the high cost of wiring and circuit protection came as an unpleasant surprise that I forgot to include in my budget.  But you can't go cheap on it.  A short on a big supply wire could start a fire in a hurry.  
  • Options
    You're right. About $160 CDN and 5 days to get here. It looks like the Ancor cable has a thicker casing than the automotive stuff I had so I need to find a connector that will fit the cable and the tiny little screw terminals on the amp. 
  • Options
    tk1973tk1973 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    Try Custom Audio and Video in Newmarket. http://www.customaudioandvideo.ca/

They did my last boat a red 30 Ft Donzi and just did my friends brand new Yamaha AR. 

Guys name is Chris, and you can tell him Tim with the Donzi and Jeff with the Yamaha suggested he call you. 

He he also does mobile stuff FYI if you get stuck. 
  • Options
    Thanks @tk1973
    Ordered from Binnacle last night. Arriving Monday which works for me. All marine grade wire and fusing. In the meantime I can run my speaker wire and the lighter gauge feeds for the speaker LED's and the head unit. Have another job too. When I pulled the fridge to track some of the wiring and pull the old CD changer out this is what I found. Bringing the rubber gloves, bleach and anti mold spray to the boat tomorrow!