Options

Help diagnose a sound?

69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
I've been looking for the cause of this for a few years. It's very intermittent, and only happens on start up. After the engine has been running for 10-15 seconds it stops, and it only does it at idle, but it'll make the noise regardless of in gear, or out of gear. When we were out yesterday it only did it once, but sometimes it'll do numerous times. It's random and intermittent. The noise is coming from the rear of the engine, ie....not a belt or idler pulley. It's been happening for a few years, and since I've first heard the noise, both the entire transom assembly, and outdrive have been replaced, and it's still here. So basically, everything behind the motor is new, and it was doing it before all that was replaced. Any ideas?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EfDamwbIQgc

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats a dry bearing. Alternator. You could try to remove the belt and run for 20 seconds
  • Options
    Alternator was recently rebuilt as well. It's definitely coming from the rear of the engine, but I can try it without the belt. The problem is, if it doesn't do it without the belt on it doesn't really mean anything, because it doesn't always do it. 
  • Options
    F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    sounds like belt related squeel
    1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Power steering pump???? I hate to say this but I agree with Handy (lol) sounds like a bearing.........
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    A mechanic stethoscope might be helpful, although that can be a challenge with intermittent problems.  I get the impression you use the boat a lot, right?  It's hard to think that a failing bearing would last for a few years of regular use.  
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    x2 on power steering pump? water pump, alternator, if you think it's coming from the rear, did you grease your gimble bearing, there are two grease fittings, you only have to get to one of them to grease it. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    I agree it sounds like a bearing but there’s no question that it’s coming from the back.  Gimbal was greased. The zerk that’s in the bellhousing was also greased. 
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    $4 at Harbor Freight.  How do they do that?

https://www.harborfreight.com/mechanics-stethoscope-69913.html
    Pittsburgh Automotive 69913 Mechanics Stethoscope

I have ave one of those but I’ve never been quick enough to catch it since it doesn’t always do it, and it doesn’t do it for very long. That video is about the longest I’ve ever heard it do it. Lol
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    A mechanic stethoscope might be helpful, although that can be a challenge with intermittent problems.  I get the impression you use the boat a lot, right?  It's hard to think that a failing bearing would last for a few years of regular use.  
    And that’s the other thing. We do use it a lot, and I told my wife that whenever tbis part fails, I want another just like it because this stupid thing has been doing this for 3 or 4 years and it hasn’t quit yet!  Lol. 

When my race car starts having an issue we can’t figure out, I always say “let’s go make a nitrous hit and we will figure it out.”  I tell my wife we will figure out what it is when it fails, but it keeps going. 
  • Options
    Dont worry about it .Whatever it is will fail then you will know what it was
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's the blower fan cheap and easy fix. Definitely have heared that sound before. 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was going to say the blower also. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    You hit the blower switch off and the sound will stop. Lol 
  • Options
    Hmmmm well, so using skiing as an example, I leave the bilge blower running the whole time as we are changing skiers and shutting the motor down, and it only does it right after I start the engine. The next time out I’ll take my stethoscope and have the hatch open and ready, and have my wife start the boat. It’s always annoyed me, but now I’m on a mission to figure it out. 
  • Options
    When you do hear it, give the blower a couple of good hits with your hand to see if the sound changes pitch.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Ok I’ll do it. 

Or or I can just not use the blower anymore :) HA!
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +++ on the blower. Beware distorting the blower frame when screwing it down or fastening on the blower hose too.  Easy to do and will cause the fan to hit the housing. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    But if don't use the blower you can't use the boat. Now that would just suck. Lol
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    You have 2 more bearings to consider.  The idler and tensioner pulleys are just bearings with plastic wheels on them.  Had one fail without warning.  They run about $30 each.  I think you could pull the belt and turn them to see if they move smoothly.  Being mine were 15+ years old I just replaced all of them when 1 failed.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Well, it’s not the blower because I turned it off and the noise continued. 
  • Options
    dalekdalek Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    To my old ears, that sound is of something rotating much faster than the engine itself. Definitely up in the Khz.
    If your sure it's from the back end.
    Pinion return spring or sticky pinion on starter maybe?

• Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Is the coupler slipping on the rubber, gets a little friction and heats up/stops?  It is located directly behind the engine.
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Options
    Is the coupler slipping on the rubber, gets a little friction and heats up/stops?  It is located directly behind the engine.
    Is there a way I can check that?
  • Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    @69fastback
    Have you ever noticed you feel like you are not getting as much speed as you used too, or if you get on the throttles hard to you hear that noise?
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Options
    @69fastback
    Have you ever noticed you feel like you are not getting as much speed as you used too, or if you get on the throttles hard to you hear that noise?
    I never hear the noise under throttle. I rarely ever have the boat at top speed. Ever. There’s just no need, but I did make an impromptu speed run today, and only got 47 MPH out of it, which is low, but it had a lot of gas, the lake was choppy, and he wind was blowing. 
  • Options
    47 MPH is low??
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Could be air or fluid going thru the power steering assist unit 
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    aero3113 said:
    47 MPH is low??
    Yeah. Any time I’m feeling frisky and run it out, it’s usually 53-55 MPH. This is about how I normally cruise around. 

Could be air or fluid going thru the power steering assist unit 
    I did have to replace a power steering hose last year.
  • Options
    Thays the only other item towards the rear