Options

Radio

The radio on my 40 Express Cruiser only works when engine is on.  Our friends' 32 has same problem.  Anyone know how to fix this?

Comments

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ignition should have a position that turns "back" that is counter clockwise from off to an accessory position that will run the radio. Could be either switch, try them one at a time and see.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 342s radio comes on with a switch on the main electrical panel and no where else. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,570 mod
    It's not a problem.  That's how it was designed to work.  The ignition sends power to the stereo's "remote on" circuit.  Like @Willhound said - turn the key either one click counter-clockwise, or one click clockwise.  
  • Options
    kbangmakbangma Member Posts: 10
    Thank you!  We noticed this when we did the sea trial last week.  S/b getting the boat this weekend.
  • Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 880 ✭✭✭
    Had exact problem with new to me 2008 330.  Folks on this site counseled me to put key in ignition and put in ACC like LaRae describes above.  Just like cars in the old days.  
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I was hoping the to find a wiring terminal under the helm - I want to put the radio on the Electronics switch my chartplotter is hooked to so it won't need the key anymore. Anyone look into this?
  • Options
    @Dude_Himself - are there any unused switches at your helm? 

You can hook up to the electronics circuit, but any time you want music, your chartplotter will be on (unless you manually turn it off).  I wired mine to the swim lights switch, and I'll get a new switch cover for it.

I just unplugged the wire from the back of the rocker switch, and plugged in my new wire for the stereo remote-on.  
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    LaRea said:
    You can hook up to the electronics circuit, but any time you want music, your chartplotter will be on (unless you manually turn it off). 
    Hmm, I turn off both the button on my plotter and then the electronics switch every time. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    My electronics switch powers the entire nav network -- chartplotter, autopilot display, i70 data display, and a half-dozen other bits and pieces.  So I don't bother turning off individual components.  One switch to rule them all.