Options

Surge protector

JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭✭
So I recently installed a 3 bank charger and the corresponding thru-hull fitting. Its a standard 3 prong 15A setup (not 30A like OEM shore power). I have a quality 14/3 medium duty extension cord & Marinco 30A to 15A adapter.

Is it necessary or advised to install some sort of surge protector between the charger & extension cord? I just want to safe guard my new investments. :)
2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having dealt with an A/C surge on my boat, ideally yes. But one that can handle the amps is the issue. Really an isolater transformer is the best solution. 

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/marine-shore-power/isolation-transformers

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised if it had some kind of built in protection. Check the specs maybe.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Normally there is a circuit breaker between the shore power and the main panel, and another for each component like the battery charger.  I think a GFCI type breaker would do the job.  The question is where to put it.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    At the source

Wire in where the charger plugs in now and if there is a short it will pop before frying the charger 
  • Options
    What about something like this? Would the GFCI also protect in case of a power surge or short in shore power?

I cant justify hundreds of dollars to protect hundreds of dollars in equipment. LOL

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    Joe, if it were my boat, I'd put something like that in it with a proper breaker (maybe inline surge/breaker) and call it ok.  I would think the charger has something already built in as well (as willhound said).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A GFI will not deal with a surge. IF the only power you need is to the battery charger, you could install a surge protecter at that point. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Yes, the only power going to my boat is the 15 amp / 110V going directly to the charger. I have a converter at the shore power station that converts it from 30A to 15A.

I just cant find a simple, marine safe surge protector. I dont think a GFCI will prevent damage to my charger and electronics if there is a surge in power, or will it?
  • Options
    That should be fine joe 

• Options
    Ok, so I know more about electrical safety now than I thought I would. Haha

So it appears as the vast majority of GFCI outlets/adapters DO NOT have any sort of surge protection. They simply protect from a short or ground fault. They wont protect from a power surge. My biggest concern is during thunderstorms a nearby lightning strike and/or a power surge during peak summer usage.

My home port has 30a service and GFCI on the pole, so I should be covered automatically there.

I havent found any marine-rated single outlet surge protectors, but theres a ton of them made for home use. Is there any reason I couldnt use this? I'd secure it in the engine compartment plugged inline with the battery charger cord to the shore power extension.

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still think you're over thinking it. What model charger did you install? Give the manufacturer a call. I wouldn't be surprised if you find out it has some kind of protection built in.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Called promariner and tech guy said no internal protection, but even if it did I'm trying to protect the charger as well. 

It's a prosport 20 plus, 3 bank 30 amp
  • Options
    Long story short 
    Most boats only have two places that can potentially save electrical device in question.
    one would be your main 30amp breaker at the pole
    two is your boat breaker thats wires into the circuit for whichever item is in question.

short protection or surge protection is usually handled by the decide itself. That’s of course if it has one.
    to truly protect your ac product you need to install separate surge protectors for each breaker and battery backups.
    you are fine joe and have no worries lol
    we are talking about a battery charger here and not a high powered electrical turbine lol
  • Options
    I agree, its not like I've got a half million dollars invested, but I just want to safeguard the charger, batteries, and other electrical stuff. I've had to chase a gremlin likely caused by shore power at Put in Bay. I'm not a millionaire, and my season is very short, so having the boat down for repairs is expensive and cuts into the season.

Since there's only one source of power to the boat, which is just the 15a charger, I'm going to try one of those 110v one outlet surge protectors. It seems like ~ 1k joules is sufficient.