Options

Lake MI Trip Aug 16th-25th

SeaHareSeaHare Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
Here our projected route for our upcoming trip in Aug. Nothing is set in stone and was just seeing if anyone has any input/suggestions. We will be leaving from Algoma Wiimage
01 FV 310, 5.7s carbed, B3s

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Charlevoix is a great place, the municipal harbor is a bugger to get into, go into Lk Charlevoix and NW marine and Irish's are to your starbord side.  All walkable to town!  Shooping, beaches, food, night life all there.

Boyne City: another great town.  Watch for the chain ferry on your way down, great bar again on your starbord side heading to BC.  Some good microbrews there too.  Night life is good too.

The crossing of Grand Traverse bay can get rough at times, you can duck into Northport if needed.

leland: fun fishing town, get some smoked whitefish while there or Charlevoix.

South Manitou is a great day stop (or even shelter as it's a proected harbor unless the wind is from the east.  Sleeping Bear Dunes are on the mainland, you can anchor off shore and climb the dunes..if you can!

Frankfort: again nice town, walkable. 

Sounds like a great trip, I've been to all the MI places by boat and car many times.  You'll enjoy!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    JPJonesJPJones Member Posts: 12 ✭✭

I agree--sounds great!  Maybe you could use an extra deck hand?? (LOL)

Only suggestion I would make is to build in an extra day or two in case you want to spend more time ashore or if the weather doesn't cooperate.

• Options
    Thanks Black Diamond!! Great info!...  One thing ide like to figure out is, I tenatively have us staying in Boyne City Tues night and Over to Wash Isl for Wed night.. That seems like a long haul.. would there be a good stop for the night somewhere inbetween, without going to a place we already have been... and not too far out of the way?
  • Options

Harbor Springs would be a place..but it is north of Charlevoix across Little Traverse Bay, but a super old town, lots of old money up there and fine shopping/dining/beaches too.  Otherwise Northport, MI (Grand Traverse bay) is worth looking into.

You will definetaly need to plan for bad days on the Lake for sure. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    RWBLACK6RWBLACK6 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Sea Hare; Your trip looks like fun. Just a few more ideas. I suggest the Harborage Marina in Boyne City. Much nicer and more protected than Municipal........2; If you like a night on the hook,slide into Oyster Bay [ Northwest area of Lake Charlevoix] ..Protection from all but S.E...Then you can dinghy 2 miles over to Charlevoix and ty up to shoppers dock.........3; While in Leland, eat at the Bluebird....4....Quite easy to get dockage in Petoskey,if you decide to include....Then dinghy over to Harbor Springs" huge shoppers dock. Or dinghy over to Bay Harbors"  high $ development....  
  • Options
    Seahare: I hope the weather breaks for your trip, it has been like September this last week and the lake whipped up pretty good on the south half.  Remember to watch your chart for the shoals by the Manitous too.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Thanks BD.. I just picked up a book of paper charts for the entire lake.. Looks like there is a "Manitou passage" charted that we will likely follow..  And yeah I know all about the weather here, I almost had to turn the heat on at the house just after running the AC constantly last week cause it was 100*... Anyways, Aug 16th cant come fast enough for us, already preparing and making final decisions. Gonna be picking up a dinghy this week too. Now to figure out an economical way to mount it to the swim platform....davits are so **** $$
  • Options
    Aside from just strapping it up on the swim platform and the transom, none are cheap nor 'easy'.  I'm looking at changing from the Weaver Davits (pads ungluing) to this: www.prodav.net  I saw a guy using it last weekend and looks pretty sweet.  I need to do some measuring though.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
  • Options
    loaded up and ready to head to lake michigan!
  • Options
    Weather looks good for the next few days.  Enjoy and be safe!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Nice looking boat have a great trip.........
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta appriciate a big boat trailer guy and thats a lotta boat on the go. We'll look fwd to hearing how it went. Sounds like a great trip. MnK
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    bat32bat32 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    Was just out yesterday on the lake and it was beautiful. Less then a foot chop. Cruised between 30 an 40 mph no problem. Looks like you got the weather for the trip.

• Options
    Hope you have the same lake conditions we have here in southern Lake Mich.  One of those coveted days of calm..FLAT.. water!  Suppose to be like this all week and forecasting the same for the upper part. Enjoy.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Well the water coming across the lake was absolutely FLAT gorgeous!!!  30 mph across took 2 hrs. We ended up sleeping on the hook the first night at south maniteu isl. then went over to Leland for a few hrs/lunch then up to Charlevoix. 2 nights at Char, was beautiful, awesome marina! We then decided to head to Mackinac, went under the bridge this morning and currently at the mackinac isl marina...  The bridge was a welcoming sight after getting pounded and wet going thru greys reef and mack straights. Don't worry I got TONS of pics to share! Internet is slow and spotty at best so ill get em up when I get a decent connection... Heres Big Mack VV
  • Options
    bat32bat32 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    Great pic! Looks like the foredeck is still a little wet from the trip :)

• Options
    Sweet!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options

Ok better late than never, heres some pics i uploaded to photobucket of our Lake MI trip. The people you see in the pics are me, my gf, my cousin, his gf, and my gf's dad.

http://s991.photobucket.com/user/smitteez/library/Michigan%20Trip%202013

• Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome pics, looks like a great trip. I'm so jealous of the sandy shoreline on Lake Michigan, here in St Clair its all developed & marsh. :/
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options

Great pics, love that whole area by car or boat!  Glad you hit a nice weather spell that week too.  The southern half of the lake has great spots too, drop a note if you are interested in some ideas.

PS: It's not about the gas dollars and all about the fun!

PC BYC, Holland, MI