Here’s a question for you experienced boaters!

WildstyleWildstyle Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
Was out anchoring in about 10-12’ depth of water near the beach today. Went to head back to dock, started both engines up, put into drive and as soon as I hit the throttle a loud clunking sound started happening and it sounded like we hit something underneath us almost. It stopped after a few seconds and then as I was still moving, I noticed my starboard engine quit entirely. Tried restarting it and nothing. Completely dead. So I thought either for sure we hit something and I messed an outdrive up or the engine seized as it almost sounded mechanical with the clunking sound. I drove back to the dock (luckily we weren’t far out) with only a single motor, having a hard time steering as the steering was very stiff to turn. Got it back to dock, opened engine bay and nothing visual was wrong. Tried starting the starboard engine again and it fired right up with no issue!! Tied to the dock, I could put it into forward and reverse no problem. Turned it off...scratched my head...then noticed that the drive oil resovoir was completely empty on the starboard engine. I just bought this boat from a very reputable dealer so I can’t imagine they didn’t top it up in fact I’m almost certain I saw it full when I took delivery. 

So....did I hit something which caused a drive oil leak?? Why did it start again? Any suggestions? Not sure what to do at this point but they did give me a 30 day warranty...

Comments

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    It’s possible you hit something and cracked the housing of the drive or your drive failed internally and cracked the housing. The abrupt stop of the drive caused the engine to stall.
    2008 330EC
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with @shawnmjr - have the dealer haul it for inspection immediately.  

An empty reservoir should cause alarms.  I'm betting the float inside the reservoir was stuck.

Stiff steering would be normal.  The starboard engine drives the power steering.  Lose the engine, lose power steering.
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Did you by chance pick up someone's anchor line? That would make the engine shut off and if you did and caught the chain that would explain a crack with oil loss......... 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't have to be cracked. Could be bent shaft taking seal out.  Also, trimmed all way up could angle the bearing disallowing rotation of main shaft, killing engine.  That could also wreck seal.  
  • WildstyleWildstyle Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    I called the dealer today asking...they told me that because they are Volvo engines, it doesn’t have drive oil and that resivoir is actually power steering fluid. Surprised to hear that...but I called them first thing this morning and they said they’d call me back and haven’t heard all day. I’ll try them again in the morning to see what the plan is. 

It it may be linked to the impeller post I made and it overheating...not sure. 
  • WildstyleWildstyle Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    raybo3 said:
    Did you by chance pick up someone's anchor line? That would make the engine shut off and if you did and caught the chain that would explain a crack with oil loss......... 
    no one else was there but not impossible I guess.