Options

Opinions on Ballard’s on Block Island? Update - going to Payne’s instead

luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
So the admiral and I booked July 6 and 7 at Ballard’s on Block Island. We have been planning to head there since last year, just never made it happen. We have a 270 and will be traveling from our marina in Portsmouth RI with friends on a buddy boat, a 28 foot Albin. We will leave at the crack of dawn to beat the afternoon winds. My brother and his wife are joining us so it will be cozy to say the least. Any thoughts or suggestions on planning, things to do or personal experience at Ballard’s would be welcome. I used to go to Block on day trips on smaller boats when I was younger but it’s been 30 years! I have read whatever I can find regarding Block Island.  Looking forward to the trip and hoping for calm seas and fair weather 

Just heard from Dockwa that Ballard’s is full so we are booked at Payne’s. Any input from those with experience at Payne’s is welcome. Thanks 
Post edited by luvinlife on

Comments

• Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I have no experience at any of the docks as we just stay on the hook for a week... Here’s my recommendations: Dead Eye Dlcks for dinner as the sun sets and find your way down to Poor People’s Pub. We have been going to Block for the last 3 years with our FV270 and the Admiral decided to book a cruise to Bermuda with the family this year. Ugh
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be there 6/24 to 6/28. I usually get a town mooring ? $35 ? A night, they are 1st come no reservations. You will be there the day after the fourth very busy time. At the dock they will stack you beside other boats.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    With all the boats moored out, how do they find you when you call for a water taxi?
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    jhofmann said:
    With all the boats moored out, how do they find you when you call for a water taxi?
        Hail them via radio, give them general location(Breezy point, dinghy beach, etc) with a description/name of your boat and give them a wave when they’re close. Also works for the pump out boat, water boat and the Aldo’s  bakery boat(my favorite)

• Options
    VlinesVlines Member Posts: 2
    Check BI Boat Basin.  Between there and Payne's, you are sure to have a good time:
    https://blockislandboatbasin.com/