Options

Freeze Damage to Sea Strainer and Kohler generator

Attached are pics of one of my sea strainers that was leaking.  It was not leaking last fall when I laid the boat up for the winter but is now.  I suspect that my marina did not winterize properly.  Does anyone have another theory?

Fyi, this feeds my Kohler 5E 5KW generator which now has all its oil sitting in the pan underneath the generator.  I fear that I may have a cracked block due to lack of winterization.  Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those strainer types do not hold up well over time.  I think the bowl would have cracked if froze. The raw water only goes thru the heat exchanger, the engine has antifreeze running through it. So unless you had only water in the coolant system, not a cracked crankcase from freezing. 

Oil in the drip pan might just be a sloppy oil change or the drain valve not fully shut. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    I agree with BD.  I'm betting the oil in the pan is just a sloppy job for oil change &/or them leaving that valve a little open.  First check the dipstick.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The strainer looks like it could have been over tightin but does look to be aged. X2 on oil change that is a little hole to get oil in and you have to pour vert slow.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    Strainer for my A/C cracked just like that last year. I never ran it so I did not winterize it, but water got in there anyways.