Options

Clean g gunk off isinglass

BritinusaBritinusa Member Posts: 306 ✭✭
Hi all, my issinglass of covered with a film of dirt, washing doesn't remove it, I have tried the clear view 2 part cleaner, 1/2 a bottle of cleaner used and a small section the size of my hand is slightly better but still can't see through it.
Any tricks to getting g the film of goop off, it feels tacky and rough, no idea what it is

Comments

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Your not going to be able to remove that.  It's yellowing of the glass from age...the sun and maybe exposure to harsh chemicals.

2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ++ on Skennelly.  

Eisenglass is PVC and the UV from the sun eventually does that. Sadly no fix. Replacement time.  You can upgrade to Strataglas, way better. Get the ‘thinner’ grade and it does roll to store, although not tight like Eisenglass.  It will last many years longer though. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Its not yellowing, the glass was new last season, its a brown streaking dirt on the outside of the glass.
  • Options
    Understood.  Same answer applies.  You won't be able to remove it...its embedded in the glass....sorry.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    Maybe a picture of it would help.  If it is streaking, make sure your canvas or anything that would be washing down on it is clean.  I'm assuming you've tried the standard cleaners like Plexus or 303 Aerospace?

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Also just came to mind...if you roll up or lay your windows somewhere make sure they don't touch each other.  I put old bed sheets in between each and if I roll them up I make sure to roll them into a bed sheet.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there are trees near your parking or dock spot the pollen and sap is horrible right now. My eisenglass is covered in a greenish brown sludge like you describe from a bunch of cedar trees near my slip. I scrub carefully with a soft brush and a mild soap like Ivory liquid and rinse with fresh water. Dry with a soft cloth and then use the 303 Aerospace as mentioned or Kleer to See to shine them up after and keeps them soft. Also makes it easier to clean next time.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Britinusa said:
    Hi all, my issinglass of covered with a film of dirt, washing doesn't remove it, I have tried the clear view 2 part cleaner, 1/2 a bottle of cleaner used and a small section the size of my hand is slightly better but still can't see through it.
    Any tricks to getting g the film of goop off, it feels tacky and rough, no idea what it is

I tried ... once the dirt/mould chemically attacks the plastic ... it's done. I tried polishing it, everything ... yes, it was better ... but never clear.  Bad areas were still foggy ... and you end up spending time and money trying to fix it ... for a few hundred, you can get a new section.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    I hope I don't have to replace, its only 1 year old, going to get expensive replacing every year, I replaced the last one because I could not get it clean.
    I will try the mild soap and soft brush first.

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    Britinusa said:
    I hope I don't have to replace, its only 1 year old, going to get expensive replacing every year, I replaced the last one because I could not get it clean.

well, if you do get it clean, what do you use for a protectant?  I have found aerospace 303 to be a very good protectant from UV and other environment hazards. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Britinusa said:

Need to use protectant ... the big issue also is to make sure water isn't sitting on it anywhere. Condensation in the morning could tend to pool in an area ... and then with the sunlight, mold, heat ... it damages it permanently.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    This is the dirt I'm talking about I'm holding the window sideways, the streaks run vertically 
  • Options
    I see it and it's what everyone has been saying...you won't be able to clean that...the plastic is damaged
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    ohhh. Ya, worse than I was thinking. Odd for only a year old. Is it possible something got sprayed or misted onto it?
  • Options
    No it has always been removed as soon as i arrive at the boat and stored below.
  • Options
    Right. But when it's on the boat, is there anything at all nearby that could be getting on the eisenglass? Is there a larger vessel nearby whose blower faces your way, or a workshop with vent fans or trees with sap or anything? There's no way just regular sun exposure did that in only a season.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    That is what is bugging me, there is nothing nearby that would be blowing on it, there is a highway bridge 300 yards away, but i am 50 yards away from trees.
    But my boat is the only one like this, so it had to have happened when i pulled the boat and it was in the storage yard for 4 weeks with the canvas up before they shrink wrapped it.