Options

Anchor does not drop

SpacelordSpacelord Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
edited June 2018 in Generator Discussions
On my new to me 312, the anchor does not drop on its own.  It requires that it be pushed, or better yet lefted slighty at the end near the windlass so it tips enough forward.  -- once you give it some slack of the chain.

If I just try dropping it the chain piles up right there and gets jammed between the anchor and fiberglass.  Not a good situation.  the anchor just sits there.

On my 270 the anchor dropped on its own every time.   The angles or something is different here that prevents it from falling.

I found this post where people mention that their anchors need nudging.
http://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/99101#Comment_99101

Are there any fixes for allowing the anchor to drop on its own?
for now there is a piece of rope tied where the anchor attaches to the chain so it can be lifted slightly by someone as someone at the helm pushes the down switch.  
I'd rather noone had to go on the bow to do this... and it will make it quite challenging when I am trying to drop anchor solo.

Thanks for suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Like I said on the other thread - a bigger anchor should drop on its own.  Can you borrow a bigger anchor to see if it works?  Or just buy one, and return it if it doesn't work?

Realize you're talking about a safety issue.  It's easy to imagine situations where you can't send crew to the bow to fuss with the anchor.  Example:  narrow inlet, bad weather, the boat is rolling and pitching like crazy, and you lose power ... you have 20 seconds to drop a hook before the wind smashes you into a rock jetty.  

BTW, this is why I don't use an anchor lanyard.  
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:

BTW, this is why I don't use an anchor lanyard.  
    I never have either, I don't understand why it's needed on boats like ours where the anchor really doesn't weight that much... I do about 50% solo boating and just like you said, sometimes it's just not safe to go up there to unhook things.
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a steel cable safety catch on my anchor.  Had the anchor on my 280 break free of it's retaining device and go to the bottom while underway in very rough water.  Could have been a really bad situation.  I'm OK with going forward to unlock it.

But haven't seen a case where an anchor won't fall when given slack.  Wonder if it's not the original anchor?  Curious what it's hanging on.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you post some pics of the setup? Maybe we can brainstorm and come up with an easy fix.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    There's two poly rollers on the mount. I'm trying to find/fabricate a larger rear roller to lift the head slightly. Someone suggested the current roller was essentric, and could be loosened and rotated, but mine isn't. I could add a few rolls of tape to it and increase it, or possibly modify the hole to allow me to raise it 1/4" (that's all it would take). The mount could easily be modified to hold the anchor 1" further forward, past the fulcrum too. If you don't like the extra holes have a welder or prop-shop fill them in and grind/polish back over the metal. You'll never notice.

Regarding a larger anchor - my anchor is oversized for the boat as-is. No problems getting it to set in 6MPH tides, or on still lakes (except this past weekend, but the bottom is soft hydrilla and we all drug a few times before catching). Anything larger, with the 50+ feet of chain, and my windlass will need upgraded too.
  • Options
  • Options
    Stodge, it is just balanced toward the stern the way it sits in the rollers.  
    I haven't seen a reason to think its not the original anchor.

(looks like I need to clean that bad boy out too)
  • Options
    Sure looks like what I'd expect to see on that boat.  

Might see if you can spin the roller freely when the anchor is not on it.  It could be bound, or worn out.  The bend in the shank almost makes it look like it would hang up on that.  

Gravity is just not doing it's job.

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Stodge took the words out of my mouth.  Check the roller and make sure it spins very easily.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you missing a roller? My 270 is similar to yours but I have a second roller further back towards the windlass that keeps the tail of the anchor shaft lifted a bit.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    I installed a stainless swivel shackle that has helped reduce my anchor getting bound on release and pull up.  On the old shackle the chain would sometimes feed a little bit twisted right as the last bit fed through the windlass, and it would be effectively jammed the next time i went to drop anchor.  This multi pivot point shackle keeps the chain nice and loose and centered as it feeds that last bit of chain through while the anchor enters the pulpit.
    Not saying this is your issue but perhaps its contributing. 
    Below is a link to the unit i have.
    https://www.go2marine.com/product/205377F/imtra-stainless-steel-swivel-anchor-connector.html?WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=gb1&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=productfeed&utm_campaign=googleshopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwsJ3ZBRBJEiwAtuvtlORuVuVM6gwQv2lVOjYmy8QTXlyCOGhI71vnWqqdnh4YBMwxjsjjKRoCK4AQAvD_BwE

• Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    I have this same problem on my 280
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    Sorry, my memory was a little off. Not as far back as I remembered, but still, two rollers and they hold the anchor in such a position that it is at the correct angle to just drop on down windlass.
  • Options
    I keep a little mud on mine too. Helps it drop properly.

*hides behind something sturdy*
  • Options
    Yeah...sloppy. Was in a soft area last night. :D
    I used to be anal about cleaning it off. But not now.  Weeds though......those go right away .
  • Options
    There are 2 rollers up at the end farthest from the boat.
    I'll check how they roll next time I visit the boat.  I think the windlass would be better if it was higher by an inch or 2.  The back end of the anchor is actually downwards as thats the way it follows the chain to the windlass.  it pretty much lays toward the stern so not sure if easy spinning rollers would matter.   

maybe its not the stock windlass... not sure about that.  seems like it may be stock.

• Options
    Based on the photo of your windlass it's the same (or similar) to mine.  

• Options
    Yep. Mine too. Lewmar Horizon 600.
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It dose look like the chain has a little twist to it.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Here is a side view of the anchor.  
    For some reason I think my 270 anchor butted up into the stainless flares on each side.  In this image the roller is the limiter.
    I still need to look into the twist as mentioned above, but I dont think that will make a difference as the weight of the anchor and chain seems to be more towards the stern in the full up position.

its fishfly time here, so sorry about the bugs in the pics. :)
  • Options
    Did you get a chance to see if the rollers spin freely?

• Options
    Stodge said:
    Did you get a chance to see if the rollers spin freely?
    Yeah. That looks exactly like mine. With that angle that thing should drop like a rock on down windlass.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Good point about the rollers. Will check when I get back to the boat by this weekend. Has anyone here had to adjust rollers before?  is it just a matter of loosening them up.. possibly cleaning them?
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine does not hit the top roller or the flares on the pulpit. I can spin the roller with my toe.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Spacelord said:
    Good point about the rollers. Will check when I get back to the boat by this weekend. Has anyone here had to adjust rollers before?  is it just a matter of loosening them up.. possibly cleaning them?
    No but I'd think they are simple enough to switch out if they won't spin.

If all else fails maybe you just need some anchor lube... :o

• Options
    pistolepistole Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    and muffler grease