Options

Jet boat throttle crack, Dude? Zav?

Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
may remember my thread this spring on the 1996 sea doo challenger 800 that I bought for the admiral. Single 787. We are loving it! Noticed today some cracks around the throttle. They look like they have been there a while and I missed it. I’m going to try to find a replacement, this should be replaced, but wondering if it’s ok for a few weekends? Throttle is solid, doesn’t feel at all like it will break. Feels like something under it is really holding it. Pics:

07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Comments

• Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Seen that before. Not easy, cheap, or fun. I'd either ignore it or epoxy it today, pull it this fall, and fix it then (if you can't find a replacement).

I found mine at a boat junkyard, pulled the throttle assembly free, and took the cables and all home. It was easier to swap the whole unit.
  • Options
    Thanks. So there is something undernieth holding it? Not a big worry right now? Surprised how solid it feels considering that crack is all the way around. There is a used seadoo parts place up north that I’m going to check with to see what they have. Thanks 

• Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    JB Weld is your friend.

Andy
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    Could you use a rotary grinder to cut in mortises front & rear in an "L" configuration (up the shift lever and along the slide plate) and drop in  "L" brackets so they are flush with the untouched metal, and secure with some countersunk screws? Temporary fix but might be better than an epoxy patch.
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments. I’m able to buy an entire assembly used for $275 so I’m thinking that’s the best way to go vs a new handle for $150 and a nightmare project 

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Ye just get a good used unit