Options

Top speed 2005 Fiesta Vee 270

We are looking at a 2005 Fiesta Fee.  We love everything about it.  Except the speed.    We know it's a cruiser and do not expect high end speed.  But, my husband is concerned it's super sluggish.    He had the throttle all the way down it was running 6000 rpms (the speedometer is not working) and he felt like it was maybe going 20-20mph.     What are y'all getting speed wise out of yours? 

Thank you for your time! 

Comments

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    My 2000 with 5.7L goes about 30 mph at 3800-4000 RPM. I've had it up to about 34MPH at 4400 which is just about redline. Top revs would be 4400 - 4800 RPM.
    I generally run at 3400 RPM which gives me a steady 24mph, any slower and it's hard to keep it on plane. That's with a fairly clean, un-painted bottom.
    If you were showing 6000 RPM I'd say your tachometer is off. They are prone to read high, but if you wack it with the palm of your hand it'll usually fall back to the proper reading. If the speedo isn't working you should be able to use a GPS or even a GPS app on a phone to give you an idea of speed.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go by GPS for speed, no comments on the tax, my numbers I would agree with above- bed you will do on a single motor...twins go up at least 10 grand and 2x maintenance- if your new to boating, better get real on keeping up with one!
  • Options
    LCKlakegirlLCKlakegirl Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the information.  We are not new to boating.. but defiantly new to boating in a cruiser.      

• Options
    laureniac1laureniac1 Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
    Check out my past threads. You need the Hill marine 4x4 props lol. Not to open that discussion again.
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    top speed on a 270 is 40ish mph. Some like me can only hit 38, other seem to hit 40 or 41.  Almost all 270's cruise at 27mph.  If you can't get over 20 then there is a serious problem with the boat. Keep in mind I'm talking GPS speed with very little wind. 
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    6,000 RPM and 20 MPH? Wow. Is the prop still attached?

Andy
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Something isn't right.  My big girl does 28MPH at 3300 rpm (each).

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    Mine has the 280 hp Volvo 5.7 MPI and is most comfortable around 3800 rpms and 24 mph. Too speed I ever saw was 37.7 on the GPS. My redline is 5200 rpms. Yesterday I had 8 adults on board and 3/4 tank of fuel. Was able to get on plane and cruise about 21 at 3800 rpms. That’s a heavy load but we did okay.  
  • Options
    McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    6k RPMs doesnt sound right at all and would be a concern. Do you know what pitch props are on there? 
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    as stated =something not right
    what motor ?
    have the seller explain to you...what is wrong

• Options
    JonnyMJonnyM Member Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    My top end is right around 38.
    "Mosi on Dahn"  2003 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    My 280EC with a single 496 MAG will hit 44MPH*. With the proper tabs, engine trim, and stock propellors it jumps out of the hole. I'm excited to get some Hill 4x4's; I don't need top speed, 30 MPH is comfortable. We'd like the engine to be a little quieter/more efficient running 30, and improve our holeshot as the tidal Charleston area is rarely flatwater.

*smooth freshwater, GPS averaged max speed between the upcurrent and downcurrent runs, empty water/waste tanks, 25 gallons of fuel, 2 adults and 3 kids under 5 years old, Bimini mounted. Stock propellers.

• Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Oh, I see the 280 was manufacturer advertised to go 44 MPH, but the 270 with the smaller beam was advertised to 38 MPH, tested to 40.3 MPH.

http://www.boattest.com/review/rinker/411_270-fiesta-vee
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I sea trialed my 270 I saw 40 mph briefly. But not since. No reason to beat up on 18 year old engine.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    GreggGregg Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    My 28 will hit 42 with full fuel and half water fresh water .The best thing I did was have the stock props balanced. 496 @ 3300 rpm on GPS