Options

Do you leave the Galley pump on all the time?

tk1973tk1973 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
Was just curious what others were doing. 

I always flip the switch to turn the pump on if we need the faucets and then turn it off right after, but was wondering if I could just leave it on all day it’s a pain sometimes when we’re out with guests and you have to explain it. 

Ive heard differing opinions and wanted to know what was the correct way. 

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Yes.  There's no reason to turn it off.  On most bigger boats, the galley pump also runs the toilet and ice-maker, so it's not practical to turn it off.  They are designed to be always on.
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    When I’m on board I leave it on and  shut it off when I leave the boat 
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    Typically I have turned mine off when I leave the boat for the day but so far this year I have just left it on. I do turn my batteries off when I leave so doesn't really matter what I do with the pump at that point.
  • Options
    tk1973tk1973 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    Thanks guys. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    Yep, leave on while you are there.  A buddy of mine had a 270 and it was up for sale.  Broker left water pump on.  Well, pump ran until boat caught fire.  So, always turn off when you leave boat.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I leave it on all day or even overnight if staying on board. If i do hear it kicking on when it shouldn't that tells me that someone didn't close a faucet fully, or I have a leak somewhere. I will admit I sometimes forget and leave it on for days. I do worry about it costing me a pump if a leak occurs but I never thought about it causing a fire! You'd think the circuit breaker would kick out ?
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I usually just leave it on if we're aboard.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    I turn it on when I use the sink. That’s it. 
  • Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    It's always on when I'm on the boat.  But it's on my list of "things to do" when I leave the boat to shut it off.
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    tk1973 said:
    Was just curious what others were doing. 

I always flip the switch to turn the pump on if we need the faucets and then turn it off right after, but was wondering if I could just leave it on all day it’s a pain sometimes when we’re out with guests and you have to explain it. 

Ive heard differing opinions and wanted to know what was the correct way. 

I leave it on all summer, but I use the boat multiple days a week. Heading to FL in the morning so I did turn it off today.. so I guess if I'm not in the same state, I turn it off. :) 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I thought this pump was only used when the cabinet drain was used ie..shower and water ran on the drain floor of the cabinet. The sink empties outside, no ? Will check this out next weekend.
    This is the pump for water pressure from the tank.
    I don’t know why but I usually turn my switch off when it’s not being used and turn it on when needed. I think it’s my OCD, I’m going to try and leave it on when we’re on the boat this season.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, that is correct.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree, if were on pump water I leave it on all day, turn it off if we leave the boat for hours. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Kaptain_KenKaptain_Ken Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    Depends on if the pump is rated for continuous duty or not.  I replaced mine with one that is.  If you have a freshwater head, you likely need a pump that is rated for continuous duty.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're onboard, then sure, leave it on ... you'll hear it if something's going wrong. If you leave the boat, turn it off. All you need is a hose clamp coming loose and that pump will run flat out.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    I leave off when not onboard and/or on dock water. Once we pull away usually put it on the first time needed and leave on until we return to dock - that either results in off as we are leaving or plug dock water back in.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/