Options

Boat Swinging Round

tazataza Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
Due to marina being wiped out I have but my boat on a mooring out in the marina, its moored up to a buoy but in any slight wind the boat swings round back & too, the other boats (yachts) all stay in the same position, I know they have a keel but is there anything I could use to stop this, the water is tidal. 

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    That's a really tough one.  I know if I'm anchored out alone (no one rafted on), my boat tends to swing a lot more than the others.  I think it's mainly due to the high freeboard that Rinkers have (you know, all that headroom in them :) ).  I'm really not sure what you could except maybe use a cockpit cover instead of leaving isinglass up (unless you already do that).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same here, love to moor on a ball but usually I am around sailboats and trawlers and I swing way more than they do.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me too. Was anchored for a few hours last night and was swinging about 10 degrees to either side pointed into about an 8 knot wind. Other, bigger boats near me were not. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    That does sound strange they should all swing the same way ,you might want to tie the wheel with a line while your moored ,the boat I bought was kept on a mooring and from the waves and the outdrive flopping back and forth it wore out the swivel pin and gimbal ring 
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Guess you could throw out a stern anchor.  I'll do that in addition to the main anchor if I want to maintain a specific position.  But I think there are times you want to swing.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you let out more line? That may help with the swinging.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    I have heard that mooring bridles will help with this.  You connect a line to the port and starboard bow cleats than tie a Prusick knot or some other reliable attachment mechanism to the mooring line.  Our boats definitely swing alot with our high freeboard and minimal draft and deadrise.  The bow pulpit is also really high on our boats which seems to make it worse.  Under anchor the more scope out seems to minimize it a bit.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    If you do put out a stern anchor be careful that you have enough clearance to the nearest boats to allow them to swing on heir arcs freely - because if they swing all swing in unison (and usually they should) while you remain fixed  this could cause a collision for which you would be responsible according to maritime custom - unless you were the first to anchor.
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    drop a mushroom anchor off the stern.. 

tie it off a foot to three or so above bottom.  make it work for that swing, which it will, but it'll slow it down. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Row has a good idea, but just don't forget about it before you untie and cruise. :)  (I know I would)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Mushroom might be overkill. Tie a 5 gallon bucket, with a little dirt in the bottom, to the stern so it doesn't touch the bottom at low tide. Problem solved.
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or a sea anchor bag. But as above, don't forget it when you leave.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can’t throw a stern anchor in a mooring field and we do swing the same direction as everyone else, we just swing more often and more rapidly than keel and big boats. We always do a bridle on the ball, helps just a little. Will look in to the mushroom or bucket idea. Is an 8 lb mushroom enough for a 342?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    tazataza Member Posts: 64 ✭✭