Options

Replace static windows on 342

StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
Has anybody replaced the non-opening windows on their 342?  There are 3 of them, I think all have cracks and I'd like to replace them.  Just wonder what the process is (remove from inside versus outside) and where replacements were found.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me look at home. I replaced one and resealed the other two. Remove from outside. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    @Black_Diamond any luck with info on the window you replaced?  I did see some 18x8 windows on GLS that look similar.  I need to measure and see what size these guys are.

https://greatlakesskipper.com/custom-18-x-8-inch-fixed-boat-port-windows-pair

• Options
    Bad me. I’m out of town this week. I might have the info in my email. Will look for you today. Otherwise when I get home. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Thanks! 

• Options

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Thanks BD!

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭✭
    @Black_Diamond I think i need to do the same to mine.  Remove and reseal that is.  What made you decide to do yours?  I am curious as to what i might be getting myself into.  Is it as simple as taking off the chrome ring on the outside?  What troubles me is that the chrome ring looks like it is actually pushing out away from the fiberglass.  It doesn't sit flush against it like the head window does for instance.  Looks like a great place for water to seap into the boat and cause mold or rot.  I sealed it up for now with caulking but wanted to ask the group if their windows were flush to the gel coat.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a 342, but the chrome ring on my 270 is flush with the gel coat.   I went through the process of removing a window and resealing and it's not fun.  Masked all around the chrome ring and used a putty knife to break free the old sealant.  Then from the inside you remove the screws around the frame of the window and remove.  On my the frame was glued to the vinyl upholstry.  Once the frame is removed dig out more of the sealant until it's removable....clean all the old sealant off the window and boat and use 4200 to rebed everything.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine do not sit flush about an 1/8 inch out and you can see the sealant is not to good. Definitely on my winter list.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    My plan is to pull one of the static windows before the shrink wrap goes on to use as a model for replacements.  I think I can find someone to make them.

Hmmmm, wonder if our resident "maker of cool wood and plastic stuff" a.k.a. @diggin2day1 could make some replacement tinted plexiglass (or whatever they use) if provided a model.  

• Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    @Stodge - “resident maker of cool wood and plastic stuff”?! Stop it now, you’re making me blush. Lol. Message me and let me know what you’re looking to do(send me pictures)... We just might have the technology! Lol
  • Options
    Well in short there are 3 windows on the 342 that do not open.  They are tinted plexiglass, about 18 inches across.  I don't think they are flat.  I think they may be thinner on the outer edge where the trim goes versus the middle. 

Mine are cracked and discolored.  And the seals are nearly gone.  So what I want to do is replace the windows with new ones, which are either not available or crazy expensive.

Assuming you can work the material used to replace them, I think you could add a new product to your line.  Once it gets colder I plan to remove one of the windows to use as a model for duplication.  I figured you'd be as good as anybody to do the duplicating.  :)

I'll follow up with you a a couple months when the shrink wrap goes up and work out the details.  For now I was just curious if you could make stuff out of tinted plexiglass.

BTW, what's the commission for new products?  There have to be a few other folks who'd like to replace their windows too.  ;)

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭✭
    @skennelly I am wondering if i will need to remove anything inside.  Why did you remove the inside part of the window?  Couldn't you just seal everything from outside?
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @davidbrooks - I removed the whole thing based on advice from another thread with similar issues.  I'll try to find it.  I'm not sure if it can be effectively sealed entirely from the outside.  It also gives you the chance to see if any water damage occurred to the hull.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    @stodge- Message me with the details and pictures and we’ll see what we can do! Oh yeah... don’t mention those evil words(shrink wrap) for another 2 months!!!