Options

1988 FV250 Fuel Capacity Help

I get conflicting answers about this and while I can get tank dimensions from the back I have no length to measure (can't get a tape in there to do it).  I have considered simply running it down to nothing and bringing ten gallons with me but that's not very safe. 

If anyone knows for sure how much an 88 250 actually holds I would be greatly appreciative.  FYI I have already put more than 40 gallons in it, I know it's more than that.

Comments

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    In an old thread somebody posted specs on an 1989 250 as a 75 gallon fuel tank.  Probably the same.

rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/7542/fuel-capacity-on-1989-fiesta-vee-250
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    army_greywolfarmy_greywolf Member Posts: 12
    Well, I ran out 47 gallons today, still showing 5/8th (less than half with bottom taper) tank so I suppose taking extra fuel on an adventure is in order.
  • Options
    On longer voyages I just make sure I plan stops for fuel.  Not sure where you would safely store additional fuel.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whenever I fill my tank I fill it right up. I've never believed the idea of getting better mileage by running around half full. I also use the old rule of thunb, 1/3 out, 1/3 Back and 1/3 emergency reserve. As @skennelly pointed out you need to plan for fuel and extra cans of flammable gas are not a good idea. Not to mention that in a lot of jurisdictions on water fueling via can is  frowned upon for environmental reasons except in emergencies.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    I normally fill back up anyways.  But I want to know, we plan to travel from Milwaukee to the Apostle Islands first two weeks of August (and back).  I wanted to be sure of range is all.  I'm not terribly worried about carrying our sealed can with us if necessary. 

If it was prudent I would build a second fuel tank and then just keep a smaller fresh water tank.  I don't use it now, not even sure if the system works to be honest.  I wanted to be sure I have at least 150 miles of range to get from door county to the next fuel stop on the way with 50 extra miles.

• Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    Wow, Milwaukee to the Apostle Islands & back is a long trip. Wouldn't you have to go up through Sault Ste. Marie to get into Superior? I'd be kinda scared to do that in a 25ft boat.
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like about 660 miles one way.  Heck of a trip.  Lots of pretty places up there to see.  

We held off on going up Huron until we upgraded to our 342.  It can be done, just gotta pick your days and keep a good eye on the gas and the next marina.

Look forward to pictures/blog.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    It is a bucket list trip for me, the boat is solid, I've been on rough waters on Michigan with it.  There is some pucker factor, but she is a seriously overbuilt rig that I'm very impressed with.  It's also why I specifically chose that hull.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    It is a bucket list trip for me, the boat is solid, I've been on rough waters on Michigan with it.  There is some pucker factor, but she is a seriously overbuilt rig that I'm very impressed with.  It's also why I specifically chose that hull.

I love it when someone makes really good use of their boat!  Good luck with the trip and want to see some pictures!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Ok, since nobody could provide the information on capacity, I have found out the hard way for everyone concerned.  We took our gas buddy with us (It is sealed).  Anyways we took exactly ten gallons with us, returned to dock and then filled it up again at the pump for 70.5 gallons with just a slight amount of movement left on the gauge.  We now know the boat has a 75 gallon tank. 

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was going to guess that but you were more accurate
  • Options
    Didn't I say that?
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    I figured it was best to share, skennelly.  You did, but the 89 has a different tank manufacturer.  Mine did not have a tag I could find anywhere so we had to do it the hard way to be absolutely sure of capacity.  Now everything is plugged into my instrumentation and I have better charting ability as a result.