Boat Snacks and Food

raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
Lets have a little fun with this. Story: A few years ago for the 4th of July my sister brought her 2 granddaughters to the boat. The snacks she brought were, Cheese Doddles, Doritos, Cheese Curls, Sun Flower Seeds, and A big tray of (greasy) Chicken Wings. So naturally I freaked out and became the "bad" guy. Question........ Am I wrong to "censor" what is brought on the boat for snacks and food? I will tell you everything listed above made a huge mess and the "cheesy" stuff stained the seats, carpets, and cockpit fiberglass and was a real PITA to clean. Also the sunflower seeds were everywhere including the bilge and stuck all around the pump. I had to use a vac to clean........Comments Please!!!
2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com

Comments

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Your boat. Your guests. Your rules. 

All that orange stuff makes me cring. 

No black soled shoes either!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • SpacelordSpacelord Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Those snacks are ok in the hands of responsible adults, but messy food with kids or adults acting like kids I am not fond of on my boat either.
    As the captain, you're the one that has to deal with the aftermath (and cleaning).. so as Black Diamond stated.. your boat, your guests, your rules.
    just like at home, you may not want someone to bring over a huge shedding, slobbering Saint Bernard. (or you may, if you really love dogs like that)
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Agreed you have every right.   We had guests come with a pitcher of red sangria once and spilled it.  They are still welcome as guests but we now have a red wine / sangria rule.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My rule is no orange on the boat. Always has been that way and I won’t change. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Red Gatorade = Bad! 
  • Yachtsman1304Yachtsman1304 Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    You are absolutely within your rights. I do not allow ANY shoes on the boat.  Either comply or stay on the dock.  lol.
    2002 FV 270, Mercruiser Mag 350, Bravo III, Manistee, MI
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm screwed. Both the Admiral and I have ailments that require footwear. A day barefoot on the boat and I'm crippled for a week. And her beverage of choice is red wine. 
    Agree though on Captain's rules....
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got to love sis, she should already know better.
    Boat Name : 

• Yachtsman1304Yachtsman1304 Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Willhound.  YOUR boat....you and the admiral.  :)  I bet you are not sporting marking soles though.  If the admiral ain't happy....you know the rest.   Happy boating sir! 

2002 FV 270, Mercruiser Mag 350, Bravo III, Manistee, MI
  • 69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 948 ✭✭✭
    There are several foods not allowed on my boat, including Cheetos and chocolate. 
  • Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    Somehow, red kool aid ended up in our cooler last trip to the lake.  I was fanatical about making the kids drink the ENTIRE thing on the spot when they opened it!  

One of my best upgrades to the boat, was the swim platform though.  No more possibility of a fish bleeding on the upholstery.  
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • GreggGregg Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    Food is a big issue. But my admiral loooves to entertain and one thing she loves to bring is shrimp with lotes of red sauce. 

• miggymiggy Member Posts: 17
    They are kids and the food can be spilled instantly, prevent that.
  • F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    100% no messy food with kids
    1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    I don’t have that problem my children are all grown and no grand kids they just drink all my beer 
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Easy solution.  Provide all the snacks and only have them bring drinks.  :)

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Only red drinks allowed on my boat are adult ones :) (wine or Mai Tai's)  I do agree that orange cheesy things with kids are not a good thing & we usually avoid them.  Having nuts aboard aren't always a good thing if you are staying aboard your boat for a few days (they tend to clog joker & duck bills if you get my drift...).  Shoes, well, they are taken off when entering our boat.  We have a towel or mat at the entrance to leave them.  I agree with Shawn's comment completely that non-boaters just don't get it.  But, we don't generally take many people out and tie up with others that are of course boaters. :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dream_Inn do you have a secret recipe for your Mai Tai's?? Whenever you talk about them I say to myself we should make a batch up!! 
    2008 330EC
    aero3113 said:
    @Dream_Inn do you have a secret recipe for your Mai Tai's?? Whenever you talk about them I say to myself we should make a batch up!! 

I certainly do.  I can PM it to you if you'd like!

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Dream_Inn said:
    aero3113 said:

I will take a copy also and if you want my recipe of my watermelon Mai Tai's I will give it to you..

2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Secret recipies I see

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Dream_Inn said:
    aero3113 said:

Yes, please!

Thank you!!
    2008 330EC
    raybo3 said:
    Dream_Inn said:
    aero3113 said:

I will take a copy also and if you want my recipe of my watermelon Mai Tai's I will give it to you..

@raybo , I’ll take it!
    2008 330EC
  • McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    My friends consider me the boat natzi due to my OCD, I don't allow glass, dark colored drinks, shoes, and only allow plain tortilla chips, pretzels or cool ranch doritos. Salsa might make the banned list too this year 
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My friends consider me the boat natzi due to my OCD, I don't allow glass, dark colored drinks, shoes, and only allow plain tortilla chips, pretzels or cool ranch doritos. Salsa might make the banned list too this year 
    Do you allow bikinis?
    raybo3 said:
    Dream_Inn said:
    aero3113 said:

you both have been served! :)

• McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    Do you allow bikinis?
    Only micro bikinis  :)

If you knew the pain and suffering my friends have put me through you'd understand haha 
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dream_Inn , I will take that Mai Tai recipe. I need a new drink for the boat. Thanks in advance!!!
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me too please! Need something different than the usual beer and Bloody Caesars.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Start off talking about cheese doodles and tuff guys not letting things on their boats. Now we're exchanging recipes??. What is a Mai Tia
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct