Options

Rinker 280ec batteries

Both the starting and domestic batteries need replacing on our 2008 280ec fitted with a Volvo Penta D4 280. The 2 existing batteries have no specification at all written on them and I don't even recognise the make! Looking at the size of them I would guess that one is around 110ah and the other around 65ah, but if anyone knows what the "standard" battery set-up for this boat and engine might be I would love to hear from them.

Tanks in advance, Nick.

Answers

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NickWight said:
    Both the starting and domestic batteries need replacing on our 2008 280ec fitted with a Volvo Penta D4 280. The 2 existing batteries have no specification at all written on them and I don't even recognise the make! Looking at the size of them I would guess that one is around 110ah and the other around 65ah, but if anyone knows what the "standard" battery set-up for this boat and engine might be I would love to hear from them.

Tanks in advance, Nick.
    The rear battery should be your starting battery. Merc calls for 1000MCA. Not sure what Volvo wants. The forward battery is the house battery. I installed group 31 deep cycle battery for my house. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Get two AGM Marine Duracell from Sam's, Group 31, and you won't regret it! 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    No doubt AGMs are the best, wouldn’t dispute that. But if your looking for at cost and want traditional deep cycle marine batteries I’ve beem using Walmart everstart for years with no issues. Two group 24 for starting and two group 29 for house. Good luck!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys....is there SAMs and WalMart in the UK? He's in Dorset England.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Oh man. I hope British batteries are better than their electronics. (I owned a Land Rover once).
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    I agree on the group 31 AGMs. I'm running XS XP3000s and it's amazing how hood they are.  
  • Options
    minnesotaminnesota Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    I have a group 24 from Costco at 845 amps for the house side. No problem.
    2008 280 EC
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Depending on the year of your boat and the elecronics, DTS etc. you need 1000 amps. That is a must for newer Mercruiser engines, particularly Axius. You  used to be able to get series 31 AGMs at Walmart and Sams. The price difference is usually not significant and the extra power is great insurance.