kohler 5ekd smokes a lot

Hello,

I have a Kohler 5EKD in my 2012 360 EC.  Gen has 60 hrs on it.  I just replaced the impeller and had several days fun getting the air out of the system after having disconnected a hose in order to get at the impeller housing.  This caused no end of overhead shutdown faults until I purged all the air out.  The generator runs fine now but the temp reads 198F.  Does anyone know the normal operating range of these units.  There is no mention in the manual.

My second question, is this  - is it normal for these units to smoke a lot.  Its white smoke. 

I'm the second owner of this boat and this is my first full season with it.  I owned a previous rinker with a 5 EC genny and don't remember this much smoke.  The oil level is normal and there seems to be adequate cooling water exhaust now that I replaced the impeller.   I'm thinking maybe the overheats and shut downs (at least 5 of them) caused the impeller to die or the plugs are bad.   Any one had anything like this before? 

Thank you everyone, in advance, for your help.

Jean-Marie

Comments

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 198F is probably correct. If memory is working the thermostat is 196F or so. 

White ‘smoke’ would imply steam usually. The raw water impellor would not be affected by the engine over heat.  Plugs...the 5e just eats them. Even if they look good...replace. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • determineddetermined Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Thank you.  I appreciate the advice.  I'll try that and let you know.  Any preference, NGK over Champion or vice versa?
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,652 mod
    Thank you.  I appreciate the advice.  I'll try that and let you know.  Any preference, NGK over Champion or vice versa?

I've always had good luck with NGK. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Thank you, I appreciate that input.  Have a great day.
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,652 mod

Let us know how it goes.  If it does not fix the problem, there are certainly some other things to look at it and try.  The plugs are just generally something that needs changed often and definitely the easiest, best place to start.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Hi, well it turns out the impeller on the unit was completely worn out.  Down to two vanes.  After I replaced it, it stopped smoking.  But then, I saw a notice from Kohler not to use these generators because they're a fire hazard.  Apparently, they have to be reprogrammed.  We're talking about a 5EKD.   I've been waiting since June for the Kohler rep/agent/mechanic to even just contact me to come and service this thing.  Not a word.  This despite numerous calls to head office in the U.S.  Very very disappointing service from the Canadian Kohler contractors/reps.
  • LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,728 mod
    OK, then the smoke was definitely steam as @Dream_Inn suggested.  Steam is usually a good indicator of not getting enough water through the system. 

When Kohler does the recall service, ask them to backflush the heat exchanger in case you have any pieces of impeller lodged in the system.  
    Hi, thanks for that advice.   I will for sure.  I'll let you know how that went.