Options

New repair attempt

Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
I dont know if this has happened to anyone else but it appears that my trim pump hose has developed a leak somewhere before it goes thru the transom. The 2 hoses go thru an opening thru the transom and connect on top of the hydraulic block where the ram lines hook in to. Since my boat is on a lift I can do this without pulling my boat. Al was a big help in locating the parts which totalled 167. He also recommended changing the block but I am going to wait till I get to that point. Parts are easy to get here. I will take some pics as I go.  

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw this repair done on youtube. I think the only hard part was fishing the lines through the transom. Curious to see how it goes. Since your boat is on a lift, the lines might come off of the block easily without damaging anything.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Maybe use a good penetrating oil before you start.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I plan on that
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I changed my trim lines last year (the ones for the rams) was surprised they all came of the block easily. 10m tubing wrench. Ps good luck
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    What block are we referring to?
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    The block where all 6 hoses attach by the mercathode
  • Options
    Or manifold as they call it .
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    I would order a new manifold also so if you need to replace it you have it 
  • Options
    Kaptain_KenKaptain_Ken Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    Funny this thread popped up today. I just replaced the two inside trim hoses and the manifold as well as the mercathode electrode. Haven’t installed the new outer trim lines yet. I’ll do that once my back recovers from crawling around the bilge. LOL!
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Respectful suggestion - be careful using penetrating oil near rubber/butly lines/seals. It can dissolve and/or weaken them. There are silicone based lubes and sprays that will work super but not harm rubber/butyl etc.  I have used these products for high end construction, seals for expensive underwater cameras and for sensitive air-delivering scuba equipment. Long after you have pulled your defective hoses the penetrating oil can linger in the area eroding the newly-installed ones. Just my 2 cents FWIMB.
  • Options
    Well they can handle hydro fluids they better handle penetrating oil MT
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lined-hoses? P-Oil and hydraulic the same chemical composition? Don't think so. Isn't penetrating oil considered solvent-based? 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a hard enough time doing this with the transom assy on my bench! If the gasket is leaking you must have some corrosion going on? I hope its simple but something has failed for it to be leaking...
  • Options
    I speak from experience when I say that the repair isn’t as horrible as it seems it might be.  My trick was using a tracer line fed from outisde in to pull the lines out.  I also didn’t connect the lines to the pump until they were fed through the transom and then connected to the manfold and the mercathode wired in and then the whole thing bolted on.  Good luck with your repair!
  • Options
    And one other thing.  Two really. First, you may have to rewire or replace your mercathode if the wires are glued or epoxied into the center of the manifold. You could cut and splice them I suppose. Second, Merc has changed the design of the manifold somewhat. It appears to be a different material of construction. You can see in my picture that it is no longer a smooth, glossy finish.  It appears to be some sort of anodized finish with a fairly rough surface. You can also see in the pic I posted that they have changed the design of the electrode as well.
  • Options
    Well the block came off fairly easy and will need to be replaced as Al said. Also I will have to replace the mercathode as the wire broke off as Ken said. It appears that the manifold block corroded away from the hose threads. Can't see too good now. 
  • Options
  • Options
    Yea, that's bout what mine looked like but was not leaking there, yet. The hole where the wires corroded so you could not pull the wires. I wondered if this was an indication that the mercathode is not working right, after all, its mounted to it! That manifold is 80 bucks and I did get the new design mercathode which is a few bucks. I did salvage the manifold however, it was fine. I sealed it all up good. That part is all back together. The constant wet from the leak hot the top side of it, outside did not look to good either.
  • Options
    Yes I could see that the manifold may be a source of a water leak. 
  • Options
    I think i was fortunate that my boat was on a lift for 10 years when I bought it and I keep it on a lift now as well. My drives have zero corrosion.
  • Options
    Same here, bought it on a lift and store on a trailer, no out drive corrosion. In fact, this manifold was the only corrosion. The gimbal had some on the inner sides where it was leaking around the seal- wire brushed primed and painted it, hope it holds up.
  • Options
    Corroded away
    Your manifold is definitely worse than mine was.  But your wires are in stellar shape compared to mine which were as green as the Statue of Liberty.  Good luck with the rest of your repair!
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks like some kinda space rock, easy repair?
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Not bad but have to work upside down on the plank. Had to order parts as well