Options

Gel coat repair

reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
On vacation out Block Island RI not very good at sitting still so there's a chip in back starboard side.a while back I ordered some spectrum gel coat from Iboats. 05  342. So I grab some blue tape let's see what happens.
2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct

Comments

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I'm tuning in to this @reneechris14.  I've got a couple small area's I want to use this repair on.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not that complicated, although did the fiberglass get damaged? If so, it would have been good to fill it with some epoxy first to provide some backbone. The gelcoat will crack if it flexes as you bounce over waves.  It's a small spot, so you might get away with it. Did you remove all that loose material above the hole on the picture?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod

I've used the stuff in the past and it really works well.  Makes you feel like a professional when done!  The key is the different grits of sandpaper and finishing off with rubbing compound.  Can't wait to see what you got Chris!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    @Dream_Inn is correct, I still have a ridge on the top, only have 100 and 1500 not good. There is a dimple in the middle so I put a little more on towmarrow. Did clean the hole of loose stuff but tuff to fill the hole kinda have to poke at it. So 2nd coat should be able just fill lightly then sand with the right paper. After I find it on the Island. See now I have a mission. B)
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks better already!! Spend the extra time sanding and polishing and you will love the outcome!!

Here was my project a couple of years ago (I’m sure you’ve seen these pics before).

2008 330EC
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    So how do we figure out which shade of white is on our boats?

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I emailed Rinker customer service and provided my hull id.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    dropoutdropout Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

Spectrum provided me with this color chart:

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Sand White seems the most likely.  Bone sounds like a possibility too. 

Time to email customer support. 

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Color is definitely not a perfect match but expected that going in maybe the sun will help. Didn't do second today because they have good bloody Mary's at the oar. 
  • Options
    I am happy it is sealed up.
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Color is definitely not a perfect match but expected that going in maybe the sun will help. Didn't do second today because they have good bloody Mary's at the oar. 
    LOL. Happens to me too!
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)