Options

Exhaust Horn/Pipe

kordokordo Member Posts: 229 ✭✭
Anyone ever have a problem with the exhaust horn on their Mercruiser engine?  The one on my port engine might be leaking.  Seems like an unusual problem, especially on a relatively new 2011 360.  Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Must be something else leaking
  • Options
    That's what I was thinking.  But the mechanic seems pretty sure.  He checked the bellows after taking the drive off and they were fine.  Could be the transom seal but it's a mystery so far.  The mechanic will get to it later this week.  I'll report back.  I'm hoping it is something that will not require engine removal.  
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Man
    i swear Rinker and transom leak should be a recall

• Options
    Thank you gentlemen.  My mechanic is starting on it tomorrow so I'll find out soon enough and based on what you've told me, I won't be surprised by what he finds, plus I'll have a few days to adjust to the expected costs.  Oh well, it's only money. 
  • Options
    miggymiggy Member Posts: 17
    Alswagg said:
    Y pipe horn has a o ring seal.  I have seen a few leak after a hard over heat.  The transom assembly has a rubber seal that goes flat over years.  Yes that is a Merc design.  The inner plate is simply a compression plate.  Shift cable bellows are a prime area for leak.  However if you ever hit something hard, replace the transom rubber seal.  
    That should explain the leaking on y pipe of buddy's boat. We're just finishing the installation of new tires and bilstein shocks on his truck before we proceed with the boat. It had a couple of overheating this couple of months.
  • Options
    Well, looks like the leak was caused by the 2 lower transom assembly bolts not being torqued properly or they worked themselves loose somehow.  The transom assembly seal was also worn.  Had to take the engine out and waiting for parts. 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahh the infamous transom bracket leak
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since the transom is a plywood sandwich, does the plywood not shrink some as it ages and "cures"? With only 25 ft pounds of torque, would not seem it would take long to start leaking. I did hit something submerged, coupler went out a couple if months later and seems around that time the leak started...
  • Options
    My mechanic mentioned that checking the torque on the transom assemble should be part of regular maintenance.  it will be for me.