Options

Week long trip through St Clair- Lake Huron, Seeking out must see/do suggestions

WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
Hi Guys,

Well the time has finally arrived for my first big boat trip.  I am very excited, albeit I won't be taking my boat (seems to be finally fixed) which depressed me a bit, however I am still very excited to just be on a boat for a week.  

We are departing early am from Cedar Point on Lake Erie and heading north.  I am seeking out suggestion on must check out areas, fun bars, tourist attractions and so on.  Our first run is from Cedar Point to Muscamoot bay for some sandbar action.  Afterwards we are staying Sat and Sunday at Algonac Harbor Club.   We are thinking of making a hard run up to Mackinaw Island but not sure.  Are there any other islands, beaches, rivers or must see boating attractions along the way? Anything in Lake Huron or St. Clair?  

Where should we be to catch a good firework show on the 4th or 1st for Canada day?
2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

Comments

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We love Gross point yacht club and we like Detroit yacht club, Gross point is awesome. You do need to be a member at a club though to go to those places. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Thanks @Liberty44140 We are ILYA and have both of those on the return list already.   Have you been further north?

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    If you want to go to the Canadian side of the lake, The Sandbar is on the Puce River which is on the South shore of Lake St. Clair.  

St. Clair Shores has several marinas.  If you look for Brownies you'll find docking and a nice bar/grill.  There are 2 other restaurants very close to there with docking as well.

Island Grill on the Swan Creek is a nice stop for lunch or dinner.

Bobby Macs is just East of Island Grill, nice sit-down restaurant with docks.

MacRay Harbor has a nice bar/grill.  If you stay over night you can use their pool and hot tub.

If you go up the St. Clair River, the city of St. Clair has a nice marina close to the downtown and the river walk.  

At the end of the St. Clair River are Port Huron on the US side, and Sarnia on the Canadian side.  Both have marinas and stores/restaurants in walking distance.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Belle mare 4th of July fireworks are great

Lake Huron has lake side beach and sand bar that backs up right to the beach

its just outside the blue water bridge 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mackinaw Is is a worthy trip. Almost impossible to get a slip there now (reservations are a must). You can easily get a slip in St Ignace though (great place) and ferry to the island. Mackinaw City is nice too. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    zaverin1 said:
    Belle mare 4th of July fireworks are great

Lake Huron has lake side beach and sand bar that backs up right to the beach

its just outside the blue water bridge 
    Is there docks or should we drop anchor / swim in?

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Anchor for fire works 
  • Options
    Wow, what a trip we had!   Great time was had by each of us.  I can not believe how cold the water in Lake Huron is, we made it to Lexington and decided to turn back for the warmer waters of St. Clair.    I think we made it to all of the suggestions listed by the members here, thank you for all the wonderful suggestions.  The week we went turned out to be a little extra special as Im almost certain we had an incredible firework show every night from the day we departed until we arrived back Saturday night.  No rain, no heavy seas or swells.  Only frigid water in Huron and unbelievable mosquitoes in St Clair.   Of all the places we went, I liked Island Grill the most, cool atmosphere, muscamoot bay was my kind of crazy, macray harbor was really nice as was algonac and lexington.  Detroit Yacht club was nice, but nothing special really stood out, typical yacht club however we missed the live bands on Saturday which i imagine would make that extra special.  Pool wasn't my favorite, why you have swim lanes up on a friday or saturday when people are trying to stay cool and have fun with a drink seemed odd to me.

• Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear it went well, Island Grill is def a cool spot, cheap gas too!

My personal favorite spot on LSC is Bumpers Landing, but thats partially because its walking distance from my marina and I'm a regular, so I get solid pours LOL

The Moot is almost always a fun time, as long as you know what to expect :)
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    It's soooooo rewarding to read about @Wildboating enjoying his boat!