Options

2006 270 — What is the stock generator?

MajorAppealMajorAppeal Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
Hello All, I have a 2006 270 that did not come with a generator. The main panel box is set up for it (the one in the cabin). Figured it would be easiest to install the same make and model as what was originally offered as an option. Or, if anyone has other suggestions on a compatible generator, I am all ears.  We just had a baby and the most important thing is that we can turn on the A/C at anchor so we can start taking her out as soon as possible. Let me know!

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Kohler 5kw would be stock
    I would take a hard look at a Westerbeek though. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Black Diamond said...
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For a quick fix, you could use a portable genny. I use a 2000watt Ryobi from the Home Depot. Others use Honda's. They are quiet and they do power the AC unit. I used mine yesterday to cool the cabin down while my daughter napped. She is 3 1/2 years old.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Just my opinion, but considering the  cost and (from what I see on here) the continuous maintenance of the stock genny I would also consider a portable option, taking proper safer considerations of course. Could then also be used in an emergency at home. On the other hand, if you are considering a large number of nights anchoring out then full install is  less hassle over time. But for the couple of dozen nights a year a lot of us anchor out away from shore power....portable.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @frenchship has posted an amazing auxiliary generator set-up. Several manufacturers make small generators that can be easily "daisy-chained" together and even have specialty cords for that. Honda for example. As well, several manufacturers - I think Yamaha has one - make specialty generators that have an initial surge power function to handle the start-up load of the HVAC unit. There are lots of options. You may wish to consult this forum's archives!
  • Options
    MajorAppealMajorAppeal Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    I did find frenchships set up of the Honda 2000 in the transom locker. That is probably going to be what I’m going to do.  Only thing I don’t like about that is it’s difficult to use the swim platform with the locker door open