Options

Bad weekend at our marina

Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
Sunday morning I was walking through our parking lot along the docks and the police, fire and ems come racing in. They were moving fast in full lights, faster and more pronounced than calls for heart attack’s. Raced down the dock  out to a boat in full emergency gear, a 40’ fly bridge. We kept looking for smoke but there was none. A couple had come in from a nice day at anchor. Left the generator on overnight, went to bed. They didn’t make it, a friend found them in the morning, along with their dog, gone. Just horrible, everyone was in shock. I didn’t know them, but have heard nothing but nice things. No one knows why the genny was on over night but fellas look out for each other and keep those co detectors up to date. Sorry for the sad story, prayers for the family. 
07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Comments

• Options
    pistolepistole Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two were killed this weend on Fire Island NY also for the same reason. Such a shame.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    Two were killed this weend on Fire Island NY also for the same reason. Such a shame.
    Yes... over at Cherry Grove in a mainship 350...horrible
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big accident in the Bahamas too. Sad
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just swapped my batteries out a couple days ago...the heat is making it worse for sure.. with all these stories I'm just never going to sleep with a generator on or the boat running, even if that means staying warm. 2 people from my home town made the news as well when the boat they were on almost burned to the waterline in Port Jeff NY
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    @J3ff , do they know what caused the fire? I saw it on the news, right up the block form me. Was a nice 34 foot SR.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    The first thought was they didn't use the blower, but not really sure if I personally buy that idea. 
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    What a shame. The detectors must not have been working. We have been on the hook since Friday out on Block and it has been seriously humid. We have been running the ac for a couple hours a day to take some of the dampness out of the cabin. No problem if you have good detectors a blower and don't run it long. 
    I always hate to hear these preventable tragedies...  bummer...
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Holy smokes that is just horrible. Be safe everyone........ 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    its all very sad = a horrible accident 
    but i hava ta ask=why would they be at the dock and leave generator run ?
    why would someone leave engine running and go to sleep.....unless already overcome.
    prayers and thoughts
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    trip_n said:
    its all very sad = a horrible accident 
    but i hava ta ask=why would they be at the dock and leave generator run ?
    why would someone leave engine running and go to sleep.....unless already overcome.
    prayers and thoughts
    Not too sure if Cherry Grove has electric available at the dock.
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    These are invaluable:

Monitor and alarm - we have one near the head of each bed, and one in the thundercloset.

$40 a piece, 10 year lithium battery.
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know my batteries are new but will check again this weekend. That is just terrible.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is awful. CO detectors are a must. A couple of you have mentioned batteries  but no mention of battery issues in the story. Is there more to It? 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    These are invaluable:

Monitor and alarm - we have one near the head of each bed, and one in the thundercloset.

$40 a piece, 10 year lithium battery.

• Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    Can you tell me the manufacturers  name I can’t seem to find these on line 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the Ohio story there has been no mention of co detectors. It was an older boat, late 80s id guess, so she either didn’t have them or they didn’t work. No idea why they ran genny overnight at dock, best guess is that they are a bigger boat and they bow in to the dock and they just forgot, being bow in neighbors didn’t hear it. All of our neighbors and us stern in so if any genny was on at the dock we’d notice.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It takes very little exposure to CO to get overwhelmed. CO detectors work on a time/concentration algorythm by the time they sound evacuation is immediate. 

CO detectors also have a lifespan ~7 years max, regardless of battery condition. Most people miss this important item. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    GMSLITHO said:
    Can you tell me the manufacturers  name I can’t seem to find these on line 
    https://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-CO710-Monoxide-Temperature/dp/B011O2WW1C
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    @Black_Diamond that's why we purchased the units that can monitor and alert. We'll know if any CO is collecting in the cabin, and if we start having any symptoms we can check to see what's going on. If they alert we GTFO first, ventilate, then check for the source.

I knew a guy that nearly died looking for the gas leak that was triggering his alarm instead of getting to safety first and ventilating the area.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I knew a guy who died installing all new PVC plumbing in his crawl space from the glue fumes. 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is sad news...