Options

Windlass Stripper

Although I telling people about my broken stripper on my boat, I am tired of dealing with it.  The windlass stripper (Horizon 500) broke for the third time.

A few questions for the group:
1. The boat is a 2002.  Is it time to get a new anchor line (about 10 foot of chain, then rope afterwards)?  The rope does tend to slip on the way up.  If I go this way, is it better to buy the chain/rode as a package or find somebody to just add new line to the existing chain?

2. Is there a way to tighten the gypsy?

3. My previous mechanic replaced the stripper, but it looks fairly straight forward.  Have any of you guys done that?

Comments

• Options
    SoulGravySoulGravy Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited July 2018

This post is not what I was expecting based on the thread title.  I don't know if I'm disappointed or relieved.

I have the same windlass and have had no issues.  I have read that people have issues the windlass stripper when they use them to unset the anchor.  They're not made to do that.

As to the anchor rode, it's recommended that you use 1' of chain per 1' of length of the boat.  Your anchoring conditions may mean you want even more chain that that.  I bought premade rope/chain rode from DarkHorse Marine on Amazon.  I decided to do that rather than learning a backsplice.

I have read that you can tighten the gypsy, though I have no firsthand knowledge.
    Post edited by SoulGravy on
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My gypsey tightens very easily by putting a large wrench on the large nut on the side of the windlass, believe stbd side. Do you have this?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I switched to all chain for the weight at the bow and to get away from the chain to line transition.  Happy so far.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX