Options

Outdrive trim not working

fespisitofespisito Member Posts: 7
edited July 2018 in Electrical Discussions
Hey folks I have a 2004 250 fiesta vee 5.0.  Hadn't been to the boat in a while and had left my engine trimmed up.  When tried to put down the trim motor would not work.  The relays click when both up and down are pressed but the pump does not work.  Was fine when I left it.  Removed the pump motor from the unit and it looks fine, checked all connections.  Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What’s your battery voltage? It’s possible there’s not enough juice to work the pump.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply.  Both batteries are above 12v and brand new.  The rest of the boat's 12v systems are ok.  
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is an inline fuse
  • Options
    There is an inline fuse
    That's right, I believe there are two fuses at the trim bracket. One block fuse and a glass fuse in a rubber capsule.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Did you test the pump motor direct?
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    I had similar - motor was shot, direct wire from battery didn't work either. New motor from ebay, all good again.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Thanks for the comments.  I will try to direct wire this weekend.  I read a lot about limit switches as well.  Can a bad limit switch prevent the motor from spinning? Would the the relays click if the limit switch has been reached?  

Also on other videos I see three wires going into the motor.  1 gnd and 1 for each direction.  Mine only has two, so how does it reverse polarity and spin the other way?
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you post some pictures. The reverse may happen thru the relays
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    The Motor itself has 3 wires.  Ground and UP and Down Wire.  Power to ground and one wire is what you do to test it each way.  There are several places the system can fail. Easiest and cheapest is to first check fuses, then the relays, then the pump.  My pump would actually click and if i took it apart and cleaned it. Applied a little electric grease it would work again.  I know it is soon to go but they are expensive so i am babying it along.  After that you have to look outside at the hydraulic rams or limit switch.  
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    This is all great stuff.  I will get into it this weekend...
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Had a bad solenoid on one of those not too long ago.  It would click when the trim button was pushed but not send power to the pump.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    If the solenoid is clicking it isn't the fuse, as the solenoid is getting power. The solenoid is not making contact to send power to motor. Mine has done this before after winter storage and could be moisture or corrosion inside the solenoid on the contacts. I have repeatedly clicked the up and down switch several times and it has started working. Then worked the rest of the year.