Options

Actual portable AC...

J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
Perfect for a cuddy or boat that didn't come with AC in it.. little pricey, but at least not as big as that huge *** deck hatch version..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmZLsadGlmg

Comments

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Besides the physics... I'll believe it when I see it.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO there would have to be an evaporator to reduce the humidity and stop the air from being clammy....should be something for $500! Interested to see how well it works!
  • Options
    it has an evaporator, watch the video I posted! ha ha
  • Options
    I watched the video, it's a repackaged refrigerator cooling system with a fan. Where physics come in: you have to remove moisture from the air before you can cool it. Any attempt to cool humid air results in latent heat from the phase change of the moisture content, aka the water vapor gives off heat as it becomes a liquid, and the change in air temperature is 0°.

For the states east of the Mississippi River the best a coil that size could do is slightly lower humidity (dehumidification is a function of surface area, not temperature). If you can put it in a closed system, you could eventually strip all the moisture from the air, but where's it going to go? Without a tank or external drain it'll just pool on the floor, to be re-evaporated (remember that cool, dry air you just made? That's the most effective environment for evaporation!)

West of the Mississippi, in dry areas, this might function, but at X-times the cost of an evaporative cooler, where X is likely much greater than 5. An evaporative cooler is a fan and a water source, with a sponge: you wet the sponge, blow air over it, the air gives up it's heat to change the phase of the liquid water to water vapor, and the net result is humid air at a lower temperature. It's much cheaper, less power draw, and only needs a source of water (even warm water will work).
  • Options
    It has a tube that outputs hot air and water... he just doesn't use it in the video but he mentions it... I'll wait for a cheap knock off! 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J3ff said:
    It has a tube that outputs hot air and water... he just doesn't use it in the video but he mentions it... I'll wait for a cheap knock off! 
    Yea, if you do a search online or YouTube you will see videos of the tube being used.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Oh, point missed I guess.

The device would have to defy laws of physics to work here in Charleston, SC. This thing is too small: it will just blow slightly dryer warm air over us.