Options

Lowrance GPS replacement

Over the last weekend our Lowrance GPS/Chartploter fitted as original equipment on our 2008 Rinker 280ec went faulty and it appears to be the LGC-3000 GPS module that has failed. I've contacted Lowrance support and they advise that there is no longer a direct replacement available for this module and they do suggest an option using an NMEA0183 antenna. However, as the whole set-up is now over 10 years old and the technology is even older, perhaps this is the time to replace the entire set-up. Obviously something that was as direct a replacement as is possible -- flush mount into the helm in the same location -- would be good. Sonar is not that important to us, unless it used a through hull transducer, as she has only just gone back in the water after extensive work and I don't really want to lift out again so soon afterwards.

Has anybody replaced theirs? Any suggestions or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭
    Had a factory Lowrance 5200C on our 2008 from new, external antenna, etc, etc. It packed it in the summer of 2015? 

Replaced it with Lowrance Elite5M HD. Internal antenna unit. Far more user friendly. Only a bit of minor dremel work on the dash to fit.

Actually surprised that you have been able to keep your original unit functional that long.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    When my Lowrance starting having issues I switched to Garmin.  But that's just a preference issue.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX