Options

Interested in the 310 - want to know owner experiences

fraserjrfraserjr Member Posts: 16
Hey All,

I am a new official member to the forum but have been lurking here for awhile as I have been looking for and reading up on info on the 310/320 model. I wanted to see what everyone experiences were with that model overall and the Rinker brand? I am sure I will get a lot of varied responses but was curious what everyones take is. I have seen a lot of people turning over their 310's after a short amount of time and wanted to get everyone takes. 

Curious to know things like how she handles in 1-3+' seas, actual seating passenger space in the cockpit, real life fuel burn at cruise, etc. 

EDIT - If anyone has a 2010+ 310/320 around the DC area (Potomac River) I would love to come and take a look. I have yet to see one in person and the closest dealer is across the Chesapeake.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod

I was just on a 2012 310 last week while we had our boat up at Mt. Vernon.  The owners were extremely happy with the boat and it cruises very nicely.  The cockpit layout is really nice for a large group of people (we had 6 of us chatting with plenty of extra space).  My previous boat was a 2002 310, but I'm not sure chatting about that will help you out much.

@LaRea may be able to tell you a bit more, since he is in the marina with the 310 owner.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    jbschmalz23jbschmalz23 Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    I’m in process of purchasing a 310 right now. I love the layout, as our other cruisers felt like separate areas of conversation on deck. I like that the helm seat swivels around. I would definitely get axius. I sea trialed a few 310s in looking and fell in love with axius! A lot of nice options and features on the 310s. I think the size is perfect as well. We previously had a 280. The 360 is more boat than we need, the 310 is about a perfect fit!
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi fraserjr.

We are new to the forum also, having just bought a used 2014 310 EC a few weeks ago. We love it!

It's definitely a step up from our 24 year old single-engine 25' Maxum. It's like going from a Model T to a Tesla :-)

We looked for over three years for a new boat - scoping out all the local boat shows - and always came back around to the 310 (now 320). For us it was the cockpit layout and the quality build. It's hard to beat. Lots of people can congregate with lots of open space.

We're still in shakedown mode, cleaning and exploring all the nooks and crannies - and learning all the systems.

As for handling, we picked up the boat about 40 miles from our home port and because of my schedule had to move it that day or it would have had to wait another two weeks. The Weather Service issued a small craft advisory with morning and afternoon storms - with a slight lull mid-morning.

We arrived at the marina to thunderstorms. That's when the salesperson gave us a rundown of the systems. The weather broke around 10am and we ventured out of the harbor into 3-5 footers. It was slow going - averaging about 9-12 mph. As we got closer to home the waves flattened out a bit to 1-3 footers.

We spent 3-1/2 hours in miserable chop and the boat handled it like a champ.

As for my knees, back, and neck - that's another story!

I wouldn't hesitate to get a 310/320. Hope this info helps.

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Yes, there's a 2014 310 hardtop near my slip.  The owners moved up this year from a 270, and they love it.  Great-looking boat with the hardtop.  We are on the Virginia side of the Potomac near Mount Vernon.  If you want to see it, PM me and I'll ask the owner if he's willing to show it.  
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    Yes, there's a 2014 310 hardtop near my slip.  The owners moved up this year from a 270, and they love it.  Great-looking boat with the hardtop.  We are on the Virginia side of the Potomac near Mount Vernon.  If you want to see it, PM me and I'll ask the owner if he's willing to show it.  
    Was just on the river tour to Mount Vernon a month ago.  Crazy how shallow the river is in places.  Shame I missed the 310 you describe.  :)

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO the 2013 EC 310 @gtyee is selling is worth transporting. There is not nor IMO ever will be one in better condition, with as many special options, at that price.
  • Options
    Michael T said:
    IMO the 2013 EC 310 @gtyee is selling is worth transporting. There is not nor IMO ever will be one in better condition, with as many special options, at that price.
    I sent @gtyee a PM but based on another post he may be working something out with the original buyer. I have no problem transporting a boat - have done it personally and also used a shipping company. Looking for other 310's in Canada was also a good suggestion I saw you made somewhere - just not a lot out there right now (350's and joystick are two of my requirements). 
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    T you are emotionally attached to your old boats lol
    i am sure you can find similar or even identical boats just not the one you had 
  • Options
    http://www.pcmarine.com/boats-for-sale/2011-rinker-310-express-cruiser-cedar-lake-indiana-6664138/

We sea trialed this one, then ran on to gtyee’s, and going with his, but thought I would share the link for this one if you or anyone else may want to take a look. It needs some work. Mostly cosmetic, but the seller said he would have the items repaired that it needed. It does have all the bells and whistles. Has the 350s, axius, vesselview, even has the dinghy with a 4hp motor, the freshwater wash down pump, macerator, grille, I think every option except for the hard top. Even has a trailer with it. Not sure what all would need done, but there’s a few wear spots, and a few small tears on the seats in the cockpit, the countertops have some wear on them. I think it had around 300 hours on the motors. Would make someone a nice boat with a little elbow grease. 
  • Options
    @fraserjr.  Nicely done - you have (IMO) done your homework. The 350 Mag/Blll combo with Axius completely changes the EC 310 from a good boat into a great boat. The hardtop would be a must for me if it was at all possible. If you can find one in Canada right now your money should command about 32% + premium. As you probably know both my 2013 EC 310 and 2014 EC 360 were purchased by two of your countrymen! Good luck! BTW IMO ......pound for pound the EC 310 was the best boat I ever owned. Roomy, best entertaining cockpit around and a fuel efficient (considering its size and comparison to like boats) rocket! 
  • Options
    Michael T said:
    @fraserjr.  Nicely done - you have (IMO) done your homework. The 350 Mag/Blll combo with Axius completely changes the EC 310 from a good boat into a great boat. The hardtop would be a must for me if it was at all possible. If you can find one in Canada right now your money should command about 32% + premium. As you probably know both my 2013 EC 310 and 2014 EC 360 were purchased by two of your countrymen! Good luck! BTW IMO ......pound for pound the EC 310 was the best boat I ever owned. Roomy, best entertaining cockpit around and a fuel efficient (considering its size and comparison to like boats) rocket! 
    Yeah I am coming from a much smaller boat - 2016 Yamaha 242s E-Series so the Axius would just give me a lot more peace of mind. I go back and forth on the hard top, we have a huge fixed bimini on our current boat but I like being in the sun. It's easy to do on the huge swim deck on my current boat but would be a little tougher on an EC. The layout of the 310 is really what brought me to Rinker and the overall value for what you pay for.

We always have a lot of people on our boat now - so having a single level open layout was a must. No one else seems to have a similar cockpit layout in this size and class. How many (max and comfortably) can you sit in the cockpit?
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    The hardtop will keep your cockpit much cooler on those really hot Virginia afternoons.  Canvas provides shade, but a lot of the heat passes right through it.  The hardtop makes a huge difference -- and it won't leak either.  
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    @fraserjr - we had 11 people on a rainy day and everyone said they had a great time. Could have put a lot more if it was sunny. The pile of life jackets was too funny - looked like a watersports salesroom. As you know the helm swivels, there is a pull-out bench (port side) with a fill-in too. I think we could put more people facing each other in that 310 than in my 360. Even with the hard top there is plenty of "sunning" room. The hard top makes handling the canvas a breeze. The Axius makes docking /maneuvering super easy even in a bad wind. Axius literally completely changes one's boating experience. There is no other boat in that size or even a bit bigger with as good a cockpit lay-out - probably why that model won a number of prestigious awards.

• Options
    Michael T said:
    @fraserjr - we had 11 people on a rainy day and everyone said they had a great time. Could have put a lot more if it was sunny. The pile of life jackets was too funny - looked like a watersports salesroom. As you know the helm swivels, there is a pull-out bench (port side) with a fill-in too. I think we could put more people facing each other in that 310 than in my 360. Even with the hard top there is plenty of "sunning" room. The hard top makes handling the canvas a breeze. The Axius makes docking /maneuvering super easy even in a bad wind. Axius literally completely changes one's boating experience. There is no other boat in that size or even a bit bigger with as good a cockpit lay-out - probably why that model won a number of prestigious awards.

@Michael T Is that 11 people sitting in the cockpit? If so, thats pretty impressive. My 25' has a max capacity of 12 and that includes all the seating in the bow. I guess that assuages my concern about being able to entertain a large number of friends and family.

@LaRea I think you have convinced me even more that the hard top is the way to go. As you stated, Virginia can get unbearably hot and humid and anything that can help control the heat would be a huge benefit - plus that fact that the hard top is white - reflecting the heat where most of the canvas I have seen is typically blue or black. - Now I just need to find one with a hard top!
  • Options
    @fraserjr - this is another one I was talking to a guy about previously. 2013, he would like to get $125,000 for it. Looks like all the options.  150 hrs, 350mags. I can pm you his contact info if you’re Interested. He’s in Michigan I think.....
  • Options
    @jbschmalz23 This ones looks good too. If you could forward his info that would be great. Did you look at this one in person?
  • Options
    http://www.pcmarine.com/boats-for-sale/2011-rinker-310-express-cruiser-cedar-lake-indiana-6664138/

We sea trialed this one, then ran on to gtyee’s, and going with his, but thought I would share the link for this one if you or anyone else may want to take a look. It needs some work. Mostly cosmetic, but the seller said he would have the items repaired that it needed. It does have all the bells and whistles. Has the 350s, axius, vesselview, even has the dinghy with a 4hp motor, the freshwater wash down pump, macerator, grille, I think every option except for the hard top. Even has a trailer with it. Not sure what all would need done, but there’s a few wear spots, and a few small tears on the seats in the cockpit, the countertops have some wear on them. I think it had around 300 hours on the motors. Would make someone a nice boat with a little elbow grease. 
    Thanks for the link, I don't think I had seen this one yet. The included trailer would be nice because even though I don't have a truck to tow it I have a spot in my yard I can keep it in the winter, which is what I would prefer than leaving it in the water over winter. Did you have a survey done or do a sea trial? Curious if it seemed like it had any mechanical issues? 
  • Options
    Sent you a message. Both are very well optioned. The trailer would be nice to have for winter storage. 
  • Options
    @fraserjr yes, that was 10 adults and one 4 year old in the cockpit - with me standing (far too long LOL) in front of the blender making Margaritas! That was with everyone having some "elbow room" too. There were a number of guests (friends/family) on board that day who had never been on a Rinker  cruiser yet alone an EC 310. 
  • Options
    I know this might not be the best time of year to be boat shopping but if anyone comes across a 2011+ 310/320 that may not be on the usual sites (yachtworld, boattrader, boatdealers.ca) please let me know. I know there are at least a few out there that may only be listed offline or locally. Thanks!
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    fraserjr said:
    I know this might not be the best time of year to be boat shopping but if anyone comes across a 2011+ 310/320 that may not be on the usual sites (yachtworld, boattrader, boatdealers.ca) please let me know. I know there are at least a few out there that may only be listed offline or locally. Thanks!
    Have you tried a broker like Skipper Buds?  They usually have a pretty good handle on boats for sale and sometimes before the hit the web.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX