Options

Fire in the hole

GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
took the boat out for a ride tonight after about 10 minutes the steering got tight and when I slowed the boat down there was smoke coming out the blower exhaust .and lots of it stopped and opened the hatch the power steering cap was blown off and fluid all over the bilge the pump was smoking hot was able to dock and left the boat there .got some fluid and will go back tomorrow what would have caused  that or did the pump just go the boat is a 2003 270 

Comments

• Options
    pistolepistole Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    loosen and remove the serpentine belt. Then check whether you can turn the power steering pump's pulley by hand.

The pump may have seized
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    When I shut down the motor and saw it was the pump gave it a few minutes too cool down started up and was able to dock we were only about 100 yards from the restaurant.i left the boat there for the night .i have someone who will tow me back today . I was wondering if anyone could recommend a replacement pump besides the $475 mercruser pump. Also there were no signs it was on its way out steering was always good and no noise from the pump 
    Post edited by GMSLITHO on
  • Options
    Ok I just bought a Cardone pump 20-7920 looks like I need to change the reservoir and pully
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW - you were very lucky as to how that incident played-out!
  • Options
    I know the last time the boat was used it was July 4th my sons were out with a few friends ,glad it didn't happen to them 
  • Options
    Got towed back pulled the pump it spins free also spins up down right and left the bearing is shot so I’m happy I was starting to think I screwed something up when I replaced the gimbal ring 
  • Options
    pistolepistole Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe that you also have to change the pressure regulator(big nut where pressure line connects) remove nut, valve and spring ans put it in the new pump.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Yep it’s in and didn’t miss the weekend took about 3 hrs to change the reservoir and to pull and reinstall the pully,clean up ,paint the pump  flush the system now I have to clean the bilge I got some oil absorbent towels that seem to work good going to the doobie brothers steely dan concert tonight at bethel woods and then a boating day tomorrow  
  • Options
    Ran the boat in the slip with the new pump and all was all good went out Wednesday didn’t even make it out of the channel and the steering got tight again took a look and now the high pressure hose is leaking guess 15 years and the rust got to it ordered a new hose and cleaned the bilge up again and hopefully have it fixed by early next week ,hose was special order 
  • Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    I think now is a good time to go over your extinguisher and what to do if your family had the boat if you are not on board.  Glad you didn’t ignite.   What was the price difference in pumps?
  • Options
    Actually there was no fire or flame what happened the bearing went on the pump ,boiled the fluid and the engin  room was full of smoke I run the blower all the time so when I came off plane the smoke came pouring out the vent as far as fire extinguisherI have a extinguisher in the engine compartment and two handheld ones ,one in the cabin and one at the helm .I also installed a fuem detector last year ,powered direct to the battery and on all the time ,it was the first upgrade I did when I bought the boat ,(looking to install a high water alarm also ) everyone in the family took the coastguard course all the boys can handle the boat,and have been boating all their life  .the price of the Merc pump is about $500 ,the auto zone pump $60