Options

Installation of Jabsco Twist n Lock

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
A P.O. had installed a goofy electric head pump conversion that I never liked. Noisy and drew way too many amps. It quit on the weekend so I decided to just go back to a manual Twist n Lock pump. Instructions aren't great. Can anyone confirm that the base gasket/valve flapper goes flat side up as in first pic? I assume it does because otherwise the raised bump on the other side hits the piston. Does it matter if the flap is left or right? I'm thinking open side to the bowl?

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Comments

• Options
    Hah! Never mind gang. Just found this awesome video.

YouTube · Jabsco Rule Marine

8:50
    Jabsco - How To Replace Manual Toilet Pump Assembly
    Feb 7, 2014

• Options
    Kaptain_KenKaptain_Ken Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    I referred to the Jabsco videos when updating the head in my last boat.  I think they're pretty helpful.  Those guys are pretty goofy too.
  • Options
    Install went off without any issues. Oddly enough, that flapper is installed with the flat side down, but when you see how it seals against the bowl outlet flange it makes sense, and then allows waste out on the up stroke. It actually only goes on the little pins on the flange one way, so you can't screw it up. This thing works WAY better than that electric conversion junk that was in there. Whoever designed that thing should be fired. To clean up the "mess" I used a wack of environmentally friendly cleaner and a hose, but when I was done I noticed the carpet in front of the bottom stair by the mid-bilge was soaked.  :#  So now I have to get under the aft cabin and see if the shower sump is clogged. Quite possible given the bits of paper and other "stuff" that ran out when I disconnected the old pump. Sigh!!

One question I do have though, is that I've heard from others that with the Twist N Lock pump you should leave the toggle and/or handle in a certain position to ensure no damage when pumping out. But I don't know what that position is and can't find it anywhere.
    Anybody else heard this?
  • Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    On mine the toggle stays to the right, leaving the head connected to the holding tank after you flush it. There is a bright red warning on the left side of the toggle warning you not to leave it in this posistion, connected to the incoming water. In my case this goes a seacock and leaving it in that posistion could cause flooding if something in the toilet fails. 

Toggle to the right, twist and lock the handle down when not in use!
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same here, toggle to the right. I also leave my seacock closed and use the pull out faucet for fresh water in the bowl.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Ok. Is that to the right while sitting or facing the pump? To the white side or blue? I'm thinking blue which is to the drain side as shown in the pic ?

• Options
    Yes, blue side.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    I like the idea of closing the seacock and using the water onboard, especially out in the salt water.
  • Options
    It helps keep the smell down a lot, I found if the salt water sits it really starts to stink.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    Great idea with the showe faucet 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Yes, our last boat used raw water.  Our current boat uses the fresh water tank and is really nice!  glad you got the pump installed!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are raw water flush which is fine while we are using the boat as we are fresh and the marina and Lake Erie are pretty clean. But when we leave for the week I flush clean tap water down so that it’s clean water in the bowl for the week and not raw. Raw gets stinky 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Yeah, I do use the shower faucet for an extra rinse now and again. But fresh water lake so no smell issues with salt water. Our marina doesn't have clean water for on board tanks so I haul it from home in 5 gallon cans and fill my fresh water tank so can't waste it going down the head.