Options

Horn Issues - Help

jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
So the horn on my 280 worked perfectly last season and now this year it worked intermittently and now wont work at all. I pulled the dash real quick to make sure the switch was completely connected and it is. Is it possible that the horn itself just took a dump as it is electronic? I am not familiar with them so I am looking for some tips on where to start. anyone have any experience with this? @Cableguy Greg perhaps?
Boat Name: Knot A Worry
2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Sometimes you can take the horn assembly apart. Clean, lube it up and it’s good to go.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Thanks @aero3113 I will have to take it apart this weekend and see how it looks.

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Volt meter at the horn will tell the story 
  • Options
    laureniac1laureniac1 Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
    I went through this 2 years ago- once you take the horn apart to “lube” you find everything is dry rotted and not repairable. Unfortunately you will need a new one. The one that this pictured above but Reneechris will work. If you need I get a wired they are located in bathroom ceiling just take off access panel 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Ongaro horn?  See their web site for info on how to clean the contacts.  But be careful not to strip the screws when you take it apart ... do not use a cordless drill.  I found this out the hard way.
  • Options
    tk1973tk1973 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    I just did this on mine yesterday. Same boat. Ongaro horn. 

Take it apart, peel the sticker off the back and there’s another screw there. 

Take some sandpaper and rub it between the points. You have to hold it down against the spring and get the paper in there. And then spray it all with wd40. 

After i did all that, horn worked liked it was brand new. 

• Options
    Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    Ditto to LaRea and tk1973. Mine did same thing several years ago. Took (Ongaro) horn out and used emery paper folded over to run between contacts that look like old style distributor points. Has worked perfect since. Simple fix.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Use emery paper, not sandpaper.  And hit it with a drop of light oil when you're done.

On mine, a few of the screws were seized up.  When I tried to remove them, I stripped the heads.  I actually had to cut one with a hacksaw, so I'll have to replace the horn at some point.
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The horn I posted is a sale till Wednesday  7/17. You have to use the code. Active captain was connected to defender.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I replaced my horn with the deluxe all stainless Ongaro horn. I had the same issues, cleaned it up and they persisted. The hardest part is getting to the connections. They are above the lights at the TV in the salon area. Digging the 4000 out of the hole was a trip as well. When you replace, rebed the new horn with 4000.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    @Cableguy Greg when I get the cover for the TV lights down exactly where is the connection for the horn? I have it down but I don’t see the wires?
  • Options
    I thought for sure they were there. I’m in Illinois right now, so I don’t have access to my boat. Try removing the compartment above the sink in the head. There you might gain access from a different direction. You could snap some pictures with your phone to be sure. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    No worries sir! I got it done. The wires are covered by was seems to be a thin piece of glass above the tv cabinet. I wasn't able to see the wires but its over with now lol 
  • Options
    Glad to hear you got it fixed.
    Go Steelers!!!