Options

310 Sitting Too Low?

TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
Just got our 2014 310 a few weeks ago -- so still learning. Went to do some cleaning this morning and as we were leaving I was giving the boat a last look and this is what I saw...

Is it sitting too low? Or is it my imagination? I went back on board to check the bilge and it had some water, but nothing what I would call extraordinary (it rained last night and this morning).

So I am being paranoid - or should I be looking more into this?

Comments

• Options
    JasonAJasonA Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    Looks a bit low to me, the drains on the side are almost in the water.
  • Options
    I thought the same thing, so I did a quick search and found a few pics of boats sitting with the thru-hulls about the same level above the waterline. For example...

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    You better check to make sure you are not taking on water. That is way too low.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually if you look closely, she is sitting low but only by a couple of inches. Match the thru hulls, especially the stern most one. These boats have different water line paint schemes. She is a little low but how dry is the bilge and how full are the fuel, water and waste tanks? 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dude you are sinking!
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That looks way low to me. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lets see pics from the rear. 

• Options
    jbschmalz23jbschmalz23 Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    Look at the water line on this one with the bottom paint. May just sit low like that. Did it sit that low when you put it in? And do you have bottom paint? Should give you an idea of the water line. 

• Options
    @jbschmalz23 - That pic makes me feel a bit better!

Last week my wife took a picture after we got back from filling up with gas. I had her pull it up and it shows it sitting exactly the same as we are today. I don't think there are any pics of the boat in the water from the previous owner, but I'm checking.

We do have black bottom paint. I'm going to take a closer look tomorrow - and as I've said, when I looked in the bilge today there was some water, but nothing I would consider abnormal.

It's just weird that the thru-hulls are so close to the water line. If it wasn't for those, I probably wouldn't have given it a second thought.

And anybody else with a 310 who can or has shed more light on the situation it is appreciated! :-)

• Options
    edited July 2018
    I found this photo on the Rinker site of the current 320...

So I now feel MUCH better. I think what's happening is the gelcoat color and bottom paint are creating a bit of an optical illusion as to how the boat sits. Because if you compare both the thru-hulls and rubrail positions relative to the water, they are in the same general orientation as mine.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Looks pretty normal to me .....size of engines, fuel, water, waste.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michael T said:
    Looks pretty normal to me .....size of engines, fuel, water, waste.
    I agree, the through hulls all looks to be around the same height compared to the other pics also.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    Are those drains from the deck looks like the other ones for the genny and ac are higher 
  • Options
    dalekdalek Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    I think it's normal to be a little paranoid about a new boat.
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I had a boat like that I would be paranoid all the time. Just get 2 fat dude's two sit up with the anchor and it will look better. 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dalek said:
    I think it's normal to be a little paranoid about a new boat.
    Any boat. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Every time out there's a hundred different calculations going on in my head figuring out what that latest little noise or tiny vibration might be. Comes from running around a big lake in a 18 year old boat I guess. A little paranoia is healthy.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    pistolepistole Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Have a 330 here with a list to port. Keeps me awake
  • Options
    @reneechris14

It doesn't help that one big fat dude (me) is at the helm with two refrigerators full of beverages on board -- all on the starboard side!  :)
  • Options
    DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    Did you recently fill your fuel tanks ?  That can make a big difference 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    Yeah, looks fine Tony.  I think it's the way it's painted in the back, like you said, that is playing tricks on your eyes! :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Finally figured out why I was listing to starboard.

Long story short: My fuel gauge readouts are screwed up (working with dealer to reset/figure out problem). That said I had 30+ gallons more of fuel in my starboard tank than in my port tank. At approximately 6 lbs/gallon, I think that the extra 180 pounds, plus the full fridges, plus the 20+ gallons of starboard holding tank pee, plus my 200+ svelte stature :-) made the difference.

When I topped off the tanks today, emptied the holding tank, and equalized everything as much as possible, she now sits nearly perfect in the water.

Amazing what a few extra pounds can do... 
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    @TonyG13 I was going to ask this very question.  I have a 342 so it is a different look but the one thing i noticed is that the boat will sit about 2 in lower with empty vs full fuel tanks...then add my 200lbs on the swim platform and it goes lower still.   So 235 gal of fuel, 50 Gal of water, 47 gal of waste, beer, people.  I am amazed mine stays above water sometimes. 
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!