Options

bilge leak

downunderdownunder Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
found my aft bilge leak!
had this leak high up on the starboard side of the aft bilge which then tracked down into the bilge valley. see pic
had 4 different boat mechanics look and 4 different answers, so i just lived with it as was not a serious leak.
[I learnt about a serious leak 4 weeks after buying the boat with a major transom leak , was steering pin and replaced both transom shields!!]
Anyhow the leak got worse and i decided to take it out and have a look . Glad i did as the starboard trim tab had started to separate from transom. see pic
Trim tab fixed now back in the water.

"festina lente" - 2001  340 FV

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats ugly Mate
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not getting it...trim tab is attached to the transom, I guess the wire has to get through somehow( can't envision how!) so how exactly was it leaking?
  • Options
    downunderdownunder Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    the trim tab section attaches to the transom by 8 long screws . At least two were broken and all others in a bad way. replaced with 316 grade oversize screws and on 2 used next oversize up. Looks like with wear and breaking they let water into a closed back section. This then comes out that drain hole into the aft bilge.
    This boat is one great learning experience!!

"festina lente" - 2001  340 FV
  • Options
    With 13 posts, you haven't even sratched the surface!
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    downunder said:
    the trim tab section attaches to the transom by 8 long screws . At least two were broken and all others in a bad way. replaced with 316 grade oversize screws and on 2 used next oversize up. Looks like with wear and breaking they let water into a closed back section. This then comes out that drain hole into the aft bilge.
    This boat is one great learning experience!!

I hope you used 3M 5200 sealant!
  • Options
    That 5200, that will permanently bond to the fiber glass on I'm told making it virtually unremovable?