342 Anchor rode

Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
If I remember correct, the 342 came with:
30’ chain
130’ rode/line

anyone gone up to 200’ of rode/line?  Keeping the 30’ of chain still. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
PC BYC, Holland, MI

Comments

• SoulGravySoulGravy Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    I just took delivery yesterday of new rode from Dark Horse Marine. I got 200' of rope and 50' of chain.  I talked to the owner and took his advice.  According to him the Horizon windlass prefers 9/16" 3-strand nylon rode instead of 1/2".  He doesn't have this listed on the website.  He seemed like a good guy.  Refunded the money on the rode I returned (I ordered the wrong size) as soon as I shipped it and he shipped the new rode the same day I ordered it.
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I have 200 feet of 1/4 chain.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thx.  Just ordered 200’ of 1/2” 8 strand plaited line with 30’ of 1/4” G4 chain. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Another update. My anchor roller has been loose for some time, so decided to fix that too. I ended up cutting a chunk out of the glassed in wall at the front berth to get access. The front most blt hole was getting wallowed out from being loose: the reason for being loose was the nut/washer crushing into the fiberglass. No wood core at that point. Oversize drilled and epoxied in a bronze bushing to accept the 3/8” bolt. In the rode area, I added a 3”w x 9”L x 1/4” thick Al backing plate. To compensate for the front most bolt area being thinner (gap with al plate) I filled with marine epoxy putty as the ‘shim’. Replaced the 2” screws with 3” long ones. Solid as a rock now!  

The piece I cut to get access I will caulk and reinstall with some flat Al pieces and screw it on. 

I also added the backing plate to the anchor locker cleat too. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • pistolepistole Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice upgrade I will have to do same as I see mine does move a little.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very smart modification!
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the pics! Always wondered what it looked like up there. Great upgrade, glad it worked out!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Been thinking of doing that exact upgrade. Should have done it last year when I took the v bert apart to do my LED nav lights and seal the anchor locker......nice job
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
    Your video on taking apart that v-berth was a huge help!

I was going to add a thru hull drain for those hoses I added to the windlass box drains. Might do one through the bottom and connect to the existing drain hose. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI