Options

how can stop my motors from getting wet in rinker 342

CRILLERCRILLER Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
edited July 2018 in Rinker Support Q&A
when it rains hard water over flows into my motor compartment and motors won't start. seems like to much water comes in motor compartment in stead of going out scuppers in rear. anybody have this problem?

Answers

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure the gutter all around the engine compartment is clear so that water can flow out? If there is crap in the gutter around the engine hatch it will overflow in to the engine room. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options

yes it's completely clear and clean

• Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    get in there with a light and have someone outside with a hose 
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Do you leave your boat uncovered during heavy rains often?  That alone can't be good in the long term.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options

no i keep canvas on it.

• Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Has the cover been water proofed lately?  Mine needed another application to stop water from soaking through.

The soaking through led to water getting into my engine room as well. What I have found on my boat is the sound dampening panel is too large and sits in the gutters when engine hatch is closed.  When it rains, the panel gets soaked and drains into my engine room.  When I lift the engine hatch when it, it POURS all over my engine and batteries(recently put covers over battery).  I am trying to fix this problem.  Just a thought, not sure if this is your problem.

I miss my covered slip...

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options

i took the sound dampening off the hatch and water still gets in when it rains heavy

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are vents in your rear locker to the engine room directly over the engine. If water is getting in to that locker then it could drain from the vents on to the engines 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    @06Rinker270

Thanks for suggesting the sound dampening. Just bought a 2014 310 EC and after a rain storm where I accidentally left the rear screen open, I noticed a huge "blister" full of water in the sound dampening material drooping over the engine.

Could not figure out how it would have gotten in there.

I will now look closely at how it sits in relationship to the gutters.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the hose to rinse my floor all the time and still no water gets on the motors. Weird?
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found the drains for the gutter of the hatch loose on my 242. I removed the plastic drains and reinstalled them with a fresh bead of 4200. I think water was seeping past the seal of the drain instead of going into the drain itself.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    I'm curious how water in the engine room could keep the engines from starting.  What are the symptoms?  Starter batteries won't crank?  Or do they crank fine, but the engines won't start?  How long does it take before you can start them?  

A little water in the bilge is a normal part of life for most boats.  If water is dripping onto sensitive electronics or wiring, that's a different ball of wax.  
  • Options
    dalekdalek Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    The insulation on my 270 under the hatch also gets wet when it rains.  I have also noticed something strange when I wax the topside with a white colored wax. The next heavy rain, any water in the bilge is white.  How it gets there I don't know. The forward bilge is always bone dry. Mystified.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    From what I've seen on the 342s, the water comes in thru the vents under the rear seat (or in rear locker) and gets the rotor/distributor cap wet.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭
    @Dream_Inn that is a definite possibility.  The fix though is to put vent hose on the ventsso that it hangs down just below the back ledge.  They are supposed to have vent hoses on them.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!