Options

Installing a windlass

boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
Anyone installed a windlass in a FV type boat and had to run wire? I'm looking at a 2006 Crownline 250CR and will need to install a windlass. The local shop gave me an estimate of about $2000. That includes windlass and accessories, anchor, rope, chain, all cable and labor. The breakdown was about $700-1000 for windlass, anchor and line, $300 for cable, relays, etc., and the rest labor.

I'm assuming cabinets, etc. have to be removed? Not sure if I want to tackle this on my own or pay the shop but just getting info for now.

I know this is a Rinker forum but the members here are a wealth of information so seemed like the best place to ask and running wire is running wire...lol

Comments

• Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    I installed a windlass in my Maxum 2400SCR a few years ago... I was pretty scared to take a 4” hole saw through the deck of the boat. Took some time to run the wires but it is definitely “do-able”. Here’s some of the pictures: 
  • Options
    Cool. I like the starboard. That was a nice touch. I installed an anchor roller on my last one and yeah, I was nervous about drilling into my deck too. Can't imagine drilling a 4" hole my first time around...lol.

How hard was it to run the wiring?
  • Options
    Was a bit challenging running the wire... wire wasn’t cheap either.  
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know the feeling, but try drilling a hole in the bottom of your boat!!

2008 330EC
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    @diggin2day1

We had a 1994 Maxum 2400 SCR since 1999 - we loved that old boat. We finally outgrew it and bought a used 2014 310 EC a few weeks ago.

Over the years I re-plumbed the water system, took off the old rub rail and installed Tessilmare rubrail. (Great stuff - I wish every boat came standard with it installed.) Did a lot of learning on the boat. Lots of blood, sweat, and fun over the years.

When we went to the dealer to do the paperwork on our 310 EC they had the 2400 SCR (our trade-in) sitting there, and my wife and I almost shed a tear or two saying goodbye to the ol' tub.
  • Options
    I did a lot of work to my 2000 Maxum as well... She was my first boat, sold her to a couple in Australia. They paid $11,000 to have a $15,000 boat shipped halfway across the planet!! I installed all new gauges into a new dashboard that I cut from an old stop sign(I’ll find those pictures!!!), new cabin door, extended swim platform, windlass, etc. let me see if I can find them pics...
  • Options
    I used the stop sign that I dug out of my backyard because it was the perfect thickness aluminum... had the panels powder coated root beer metallic(looked awesome in the sun) and had the switch panel laser engraved with the switch names. Bottom pic is before/after.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well that's breaking the law. 
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    I know the feeling, but try drilling a hole in the bottom of your boat!!

Yikes! I drilled holes in my transom on the last boat to install a new depth sounder transducer. The old one got broke by the trailer bunks so I moved  the new one  over a few inches. I filled the old holes in with Marine Tex and drilled the new ones oversized and filled those then drilled into that for the screws and sealed those with 4200. They weren't drilled all the way through so not as scary as what you did but certainly not fun...lol
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    @diggin2day1

Great job on that Maxum dash. Hopefully the missing Stop sign didn't cause too many accidents  :o  

I noticed the Navman fuel gauge. I installed one on my 2400 also. I wish I had one on the 310 - it's just so simple to use...