Options

Sad event at race to mackinac

skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-boater-missing-20180721-story.html

What's scary is they said he was wearing an inflatable vest that didn't inflate.  Wife and I wear inflatables all the time.

It was a small craft advisory 7 to 8 foot waves...but these sailors are hardcore
2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang. 5 miles from the START too. Not clear if he was wearing a manual inflate type or not; most likely unless you get the newer ones that need hydrostatic pressure to inflate. Not clipped onto the boat either. Big mistake. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Agreed...doesn't make sense they said he was a seasoned sailor with a decade of experience
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting a slight breeze of 15 mph wind creates 6 fter's . I've never had any experience with inflatables can't you test them?  
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Yep...north wind travels all the way down the lake.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    randy56 said:.
    Interesting a slight breeze of 15 mph wind creates 6 fter's . I've never had any experience with inflatables can't you test them?  
    Only by popping them.....which them means buying a re-arming cartridge and trigger cap.
    I've owned several but made sure they were all also automatic. The manual pull cord ones don't do you any good if you hit your head or get a snoot full of water and panic. I admit i don't always wear it as much as I should in my 270 but generally do if alone and particularly if I have to climb up on the deck or out on the swim platform.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    randy56 said:.
    Only by popping them.....which them means buying a re-arming cartridge and trigger cap.
    I've owned several but made sure they were all also automatic. The manual pull cord ones don't do you any good if you hit your head or get a snoot full of water and panic. I admit i don't always wear it as much as I should in my 270 but generally do if alone and particularly if I have to climb up on the deck or out on the swim platform.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ‘normal’ automatic ones can/will activate by getting wet (rain/splash). Ones like the Mustang HIT models require submersion in water to inflate (4”) so better for wet conditions. 

That guy should have had a lanyard and clipped onto the boat. Big error. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    dalekdalek Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    I believe you can check the integrity of the CO2 cylinder by weighing it. The minimum weight is usually stamped on it. When you take the cylinder off, you may be able to blow the PFD up with your mouth, to check for leaks.
  • Options
    dalek said:
    I believe you can check the integrity of the CO2 cylinder by weighing it. The minimum weight is usually stamped on it. When you take the cylinder off, you may be able to blow the PFD up with your mouth, to check for leaks.
    I'll agree with the second part. But the first part....I know on my Mustangs the cylinder gets pierced when installed and the gas is held in by the dissolving trigger cap. If you unscrew it the gas will escape and it's finished.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so if you pull the trigger, (that is the test) and then you can get another cartridge. or do they come with extra's. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Usually no extra. Widely available for between $20 to $30. Many, like mine, have a small inspection window that shows green signifying the unit has pressure. Red means it has been popped or leaked.
  • Options
    Usually no extra. Widely available for between $20 to $30. Many, like mine, have a small inspection window that shows green signifying the unit has pressure. Red means it has been popped or leaked.