Options

De-winterizing boat that has been sitting

boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
Supposed to do a survey and sea trial on a boat Sunday. It isn't a Rinker but is a 2006 Merc 5.7 with a Bravo III. It has been sitting since the end of 2015 so about 3 years now. It was winterized by a local Merc shop so I'm sure it was done right.

If all goes well I plan to change oils, anodes and impeller before we start using it. My question is the owner has no idea when this was last changed and even if the impeller was changed in 2015 I would assume it needs changed now? The shop probably knows when this was done but didn't have that info when I called and did say they thought it would be ok for a couple of years without doing anything? The owner did say they initially used a different shop so not sure who might have even done whatever.

Would these things be ok just for a 30 minute sea trial? I don't think the owner will be willing to have these things done as the reason they are selling it is finances. I would be ok with doing it if I knew we were going through with the purchase bu don't want to pay for all of this then not get the boat. My  biggest concern would be the impeller (bellows look good but surveyor will probably be checking them over.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would change the impellor. It may be deformed in one position. Then again it may not
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    I gu ess try I t and watch the temp gauge 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think that you would be okay for a sea trial. The boat should be unwinterized on land, so an issue might pop up then if it is bad. If you do purchase the boat, I would change all fluids and the impeller so you know when it was done. Then you have a baseline to start with.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Ye have her started on the hard
    if Temp is good and good flow of water is wintnessed I would say go for it.
    makensurento check all rubbers
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surprised the owner does not have a bill that he paid. Describing what was done. And X3 start it on the hard, run it long enough it get's up to running temp for a while. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Thanks. Going to call the seller tomorrow and see what the status is there then maybe call the shop.
  • Options
    rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    Fuel condition could be a problem after 3 yrs. I would expect a hard start and a bit sluggish.  
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Definitely change the impellor BEFORE the first crank over.  You will regret it if you don't.  As anxious as you may be to test it out, those pieces will break off the impellor and then cause issues for you later on AFTER purchasing boat.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    I am with @Dream_Inn.  to be honest i would pay for an engine and outdrive survey by a mechanic before i ever had it touch water.  3 yrs sitting?  I am thinking that the rubber impellers are dry and brittle. Rust in places that shouldn't have it inside.  Oil that is gunked up.  I would have it running on land first for a while and if i did go out i would have a chase boat with a tow rope handy.  That's just me though.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    just talked to the seller and told her about my concerns. she is going to call the shop where it is being stored and see what they can do.