Options

07 280 Weight on Trailer

junebugjunebug Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
I just wanted to share as i was kind of shocked on the weight of my boat and trailer combined.  So I have a new tri-axle Excalibur trailer that is rated at 10500lbs.  The boat is a 2007 280 with 8.1 Volvo, I have three batteries, just over a half a tank of fuel, about 12 gallons of water, 5 gallons of waste water, and all my gear.  I weighed the boat and trailer at a grain mill scale which is owned by a friend.  I was shocked to see it tip the scales at 11176 lbs.  The trailer is galvanized not aluminum.

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well the trailer is about 1500 right?
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much weight on the bumper of the truck? Did you weight the boat alone or with it on the hitch?
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    I figured the trailer is about 1500-1800.  The boat was unhooked and not attached to the truck
  • Options
    04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Member Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    over #7600 dry without the trailer.

I don't know how much tongue weight my 270 has, it squats my 2500 about an inch when on there and it makes for a bouncy ride over highway overpasses and dips in the highway.
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok so if there 800-1000 pounds on the bumper your ok. But that is still a lot to pull around.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    I tow about 8 miles 3 times a year .I just have a ram 1500 with air bags. It's definitely working.  My tongue weight is 550lbs. 
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    I called Heritage Trailers and they told me my tandem axle trailer for a 246 Captiva was 1500#, so a longer triple axle would be heavier, though I don't know by how much.
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    From my 2007 280EC on a triple axle aluminum trailer, little fuel, little water, little poo.

• Options
    Doing the math backwards, the curb weight of my 2019 Ford E350 Super Dury XLT 6.8L v10 Wagon should be 6030#, plus about 1000# of gear, people, and kids.
  • Options
    You just drive on and get the ticket inside? Was that free?
  • Options
    Nevermind. I see the $11.50 fee
  • Options
    I don't even go inside. I downloaded the CAT Scale App, set up an account, pulled onto the scale, enter the scale number, and wait for the app to say I'm done. Then I drive off, get my weight, and my PayPal was billed around $12. Next time I'll do it twice, unhooking the boat in the lot, so I can get a more accurate number.

I was honestly shocked. The published weight is 7640 - I expected that was with Genny and AC, but now I suspect that's without, and with a smaller engine. I have the 8.1L 496MAG.

I had very little fuel/water/poo/stuff on board.
  • Options
    Autodog61Autodog61 Member Posts: 92 ✭✭

Couple comments.  I used to tow my 270 Pachanga (boat about 6,500# with fuel and twin 350's) on a crappy tandem trailer.  Trailer weighed about 1,800#.  combined that's 8,300#.  tongue weight with that set up was about 500# (in spite of the fact you should have 10% tongue load - at least for single or double axle trailers).  I towed with 2000 Dodge ram 1500 (same thing air bags and it had the heavy half ton 360 not the wheezy 5.3L).  Lived up a big, BIG hill.  Ram got it up and down no problem.  BUT, 8,300# exceeded the GCWR.  Its not just whether it can tow it up that hill its also what's the GCWR.  If you got in an accident on that 8 mile trip to the water and it was your fault, could be bad if anyone checked the GCWR vs actual.  For me, after about 7 years of the tandem and the dodge, I went to a triple axle 11,500# rated trailer and a one ton 1990 Ford (color matched the boat and I love the square bodies).  Well within the GCWR (10,000#).  What I found astounding about the triple axle trailer, because of the extra axle, the tongue would sit almost level to the ground without being on the hitch.  This even after I moved the bow hitch a foot farther forward.  I had to go with an elevated ball hitch to get 350# tongue load on the ball.  The boat was well situated over the triple axles but just didn't have a significant front load.  I Suppose putting a 6,500# load on a 11,500# rated trailer (California Trailer works formerly HMD) is overkill but it looked really good.  But also, that extra axle really helps spread the load out.  Also very very stable to tow with.

One of the things I absolutely hated though about the triple axle was the pressure exerted on the wheel hubs during any kind of a tight turn.  Watching the forklift at the boat yard move it around during maintenance just made me cringe.  I never did formally weigh either set up but using manufacturer specs will get you close to actual (accounting for about 6#/gallon for fuel.

Holy Smokes, don't forget the bilge plug!
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't even go inside. I downloaded the CAT Scale App, set up an account, pulled onto the scale, enter the scale number, and wait for the app to say I'm done. Then I drive off, get my weight, and my PayPal was billed around $12. Next time I'll do it twice, unhooking the boat in the lot, so I can get a more accurate number.

I was honestly shocked. The published weight is 7640 - I expected that was with Genny and AC, but now I suspect that's without, and with a smaller engine. I have the 8.1L 496MAG.

I had very little fuel/water/poo/stuff on board.
    The advertised weight is with the base 350 MAG/B3 setup and no genny. It is more than likely without fuel either since it is called "dry" weight.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!