Options

How Many Batteries On Your Boat and Why do I have 4 ?

pistolepistole Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
hi fellas. On my 330 , I see 4 batteries in the engine compartment. Is this normal ? How many batteries are required in a twin engine setup ? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my EC 360 I had two series 31 AGM 1000 CA - one for each engine (plus generator used one to start) and three series 31 AGMs properly wired for the house batteries. Where I bought them there was little price difference to up-grade to the series 31 but the 31s had (IMO) quite an advantage regarding  reserve minutes capacity, AHs, and cranking amps. If I were to do it now it would be TPPL (thin plate pure lead) AGMs.
  • Options
    pistolepistole Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    Michael T said:
    On my EC 360 I had two series 31 AGM 1000 CA - one for each engine (plus generator used one to start) and three series 31 AGMs properly wired for the house batteries. Where I bought them there was little price difference to up-grade to the series 31 but the 31s had (IMO) quite an advantage regarding  reserve minutes capacity, AHs, and cranking amps. If I were to do it now it would be TPPL (thin plate pure lead) AGMs.
    so you had 5 batteries in total ?
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My buddy who regularly anchors out for days at a time up on Georgian Bay has 6.
    Two for starting and 4 for house use. All professionally wired and you need an operator's manual for the battery switch configurations.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your configuration is normal, on my 342 I have 2 group 24 for starting and 2 group 29 for house 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your 2 cranking batteries are isolated to the motors only the house batteries is what your draw off all day (mostly the fig.) So if you don't anchor out 1 is ok, anchor out for 36 hours 2 are ok, any longer you need a genny or more battery. Some sailboats have 6 or a couple really big ones.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I have all group 31, same config, 1 port start, 1 starboard start, 2 house.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    If you turn the accessory key, aka radio, does the draw come from the starter (engine) battery or house battery?  
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, 4 is normal. One for each engine (cranking), and 2 others for house.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    If you turn the accessory key, aka radio, does the draw come from the starter (engine) battery or house battery?  
    On the 270 you have 2 batteries what ever the switch is on is the you are drawing off 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Your stereo won't kill your starter batteries.

The radio draws only a tiny current from the ignition circuit.  It's just a few milliamps telling the amplifiers to turn on.  The amplifiers, which draw much more current, draw directly from the house bank.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    That is true forgot about the amp. That LeRay guy is very intelligent.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    That is true forgot about the amp. That LeRay guy is very intelligent.

I agree, but that Chris guy needs to learn to spell his name! :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I no eye speel lik krap.
  • Options
    bobmcl73bobmcl73 Member Posts: 9
    do you have to use the same group #batteries? because group d27 deep cycle marine batteries seem to have the same external dimensions? what is the differences?
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Difference is cranking amps and starter vs deep cycle. My 342 only needed group 24 for starting so I had two 24s for starting and then two 29s for house. You really will want to stick with at least 27s for the house but since 29s fit in the 27 box it’s worth another $20 per battery. Many would recommend 31 for house which will get you more amps of power for another $40 or so per battery. 
    You want starting batteries for engines and deep cycle for house. There are dual purpose out there as well. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    @bobmcl73 - the group number refers to the size and shape of the battery.  The important number for starter batteries is MCA - marine cranking amps.  Which engine(s) do you have?  I have big-block Mercruiser 496 engines, and Merc recommends 800 MCA for the starters.  

For house batteries, most people want as much capacity as they can get.  It's only limited by available space and budget.