Options

Raymarine Axiom

taylor1taylor1 Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
I would like to run engine info from these harnesses to my new Raymarine Axiom. Is this possible with what is pictured?? It’s 2008 400EC. 
Thank you!!

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Thanks. Really confused on the setup, and what is actually connecting to the junction boxes and what I think is a separate nema backbone. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Yes, you can do it easily!

The SmartCraft junction boxes are used to connect the engines to the digital throttle and shift (DTS) controller.  You have a spare SmartCraft port, so life will be easy!

The NMEA network is probably connected to the VHF to send GPS data for the DSC digital mayday.

I'll work up a parts list for you.  
  • Options
    First, have a gentle discussion with your wallet and/or the Admiral.  This is a $500 project.

You'll need a Mercury SmartCraft Multi-Engine Gateway (Mercury 8M0065208).  The output from the gateway is NMEA-2000 (N2K), so you have two options. 

If your existing N2K network is already connected to your SeaTalk-NG (NG) network, you could add an N2K tee connector, and connect the gateway to that.  However, it might not work, depending on the details of your network.  

The other way is more expensive, but guaranteed to work.  You'll need add another NG port, which requires a 400-mm blue backbone cable (Raymarine A06033) and either a T-connector (Raymarine A06028) or a 5-port connector like the one you already have (Raymarine A06064 - allows future expansion).  Then you need the NG-N2K adapter (female) (Raymarine A06045) to connect the gateway to the NG network.  

It would be a good idea to trace out those N2K and NG cables, and draw a network diagram.  It will make your life much easier when troubleshooting or adding new components.  

What you'll get is:  RPM, oil pressure, coolant temp, raw water pressure, fuel consumption, voltage.  Your Axiom will be able to compute real-time miles/gallon. 

What you won't get is fuel tank levels and outdrive trim position, but you'll still have those on your analog gauges.  

Have fun!
  • Options
    BTW - consider mounting a piece of marine lumber (e.g. Starboard) inside your helm as a place to attach your network components.  Those SmartCraft junction boxes really should be secured to the boat.  
  • Options
    Great info LaRea. I do have a mercury smart craft that I can’t see well while we are underway. I can’t tell from my manual if I could just disconnect the harness from the smart raft and then somehow connect directly to the NMEA port on the new Axiom. 
  • Options
    Yeah, I have a couple of those MercMonitors too.  The view angle is definitely narrow.  I couldn't see mine without standing up, so I made custom bezels to tilt them back more.

Unfortunately, although the MercMonitor has an N2K port, it doesn't re-transmit engine data over N2K.  Gotta have the gateway for that.   

If the Axiom has an N2K port, you should be able to hook up the gateway there, and save a few bucks on cabling.  
  • Options
    I will be at the boat Friday, I’ll try to connect the NMEA2000 that was going to the mercmonitor to the Axiom’s N2K input. Thanks for your help!!
  • Options
    It's probably sending GPS to the MercMonitor, so I don't think you'll get anywhere by connecting it to the Axiom.  

To trace out the network, you can start by disconnecting cables one at a time, and see what happens.  FYI on the NG 5-port connector, the red cable is the power supply for the NG network.  One of the white cables goes to the Axiom, and I'm guessing the other is a GPS receiver up on the hardtop.
  • Options
    Thanks for your he explanation!!