Options

Drain plug light FAIL

Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
There are some of us that have underwater lights. They come in all kinds of different flavors. Here is a drain plug light fail. This is a dock mate of mine that hit a piece of wood, or log last night while traveling back to the dock. When he got back in, his bilge pump wouldn't stop running. Fortunately it was keeping up, so the same amount of water that was coming in was being pumped out. We pulled his boat at 12:30 this morning. The drain plug light got knocked off and the boat was taking on water. As you can see in the photo, it was knocked off flush with the boat, so putting in a new drain plug wasn't an option. If I had these lights, I would fill the fitting with some kind of caulk or epoxy to keep or slow the water from getting in.

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
Go Steelers!!!

Comments

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yikes, never thought of that...but a pretty good idea would be not to attach anything to the hull you don't have to!
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WoW! He was lucky to be able to pull the boat out so quickly. I’m sure the pump or batteries would’ve failed at some point and sunk the boat.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alswagg said:
    Hmmmm.  Did the owner have a 3” light in the bilge like what is off to the side?  If so those will not work in a bilge plug application.  They hang down below the hull bottom     Good call about pulling the boat as soon as possible 
    Yes, he had 3 of those lights on the boat.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!